New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Bonnie
VETERAN

New updated workout, out with old in with new..

Post by Bonnie »

After 16 months of setting up camp inside the gym ( 2hr ) split days..I've decided to follow, boopsters recommended total body workout by Racheal Cosgrove, seemingly enough, I sweated through that, unlike usual workout, which was endless single jointed exercizes.I SAW other muscles at work today, during these " movement " exercizes & didnt realize how hard I'd worked, until i ascended a flight of stairs, on return from purchasing the holy grail protein supplement powder. legs where tired ?!! Also had to rub eyes, when I glanced at the CLOCK on the way out of the gym..45 mins only ?? wahoo, some mental freedom was happening then ;) So Ive listed food & workout & really I dont KNOW how you people manage to EAT so much, damn is like full time job :) Protein shake is used only for after weights, need to learn to eat protein daily, something I'm just looking into.This is second phase, origional start date was November of 2007, but now is time to take it a step further, to slough off the remaining fat & be healthier cardiowise to.
Food

Coffee/1/4 C whole milk/ 2tblsp chocolate syrup ( mocha )
oatmeal
1 tsp demerara sugar
banana

Protein shake 26 g

2 twelve grain bread
3 slices honey ham
1/2 ounce edam cheese ( will buy low fat soon )
tomato
lettuce
Djon honey mustard
Strawberries

Coffee as above

mini bag popcorn
orange

Red pepper, stuffed with ground turkey, celery, onion, mushroom, with low salt diced tomato/tomato sauce, overtop.
Rice
Salad
Corn on the cob

Coffee as above

Workout

5 min warm up on bike
Swiss ball DB press 2x12x25lbs
Seated Rows 2x12x70lbs
Military Press DB 2x10x20lbs
Close grip pulldowns 2x12x70lbs
Squat 2x12x85lbs
Straightleg Deadlifts 2x10x85lbs
Woodchoppers 2x12x10lbs
Swiss ball crunches 2x12
Hanging leg raises 2x12
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

It sounds like you got a good workout plan going there. I know what you mean about eating more. I feel like I'm eating too much only to add up calories and see that I'm still too low for the day. biggest problem is protein also. Here are some options I have found for more protein:

low fat cottage cheese
2% reduced fat mozz. cheese sticks
beans (hummus spread on whole wheat toast, or dipped w/veggies)
nuts (almonds, pumpkin seeds, roasted peanuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios)

I try to put at least some of the above mixed in throughout the day as between meal snacks.
I'm sure there are many more options to choose from and in time you will adjust and find what works for you and your schedule.

Keep up the good work, your dedication and discipline will get you to your goal! :D :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Thanks will look into those :) Aye seems if your not out buying food, your cooking it or eating it, though I suppose one adjusts after awhile as you mentioned.

Workout

HIIT 20 mins
30 secs high...60 secs down
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

I was surprised to learn that pumpkin seeds have the most protein in them,
with over 9 grams of protein and just under 12 grams of fat per ounce. That is the same as eating pork or ground turkey!
favorite is almonds and pistachios. Or 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with a bit of fruit added (I used grapes, but peaches or strawberries would work too)
Have you tried using the Diet Tracker to enter the foods you are eating? It breaks down the carbs/fats/proteins for you and you can see exactly how much you are getting of each. It can be a real eye opener. :shock: :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Yikes, yes I did just utilize diet tracker, to find out only 1/2 of protein needs are being met :| Carbs are out by fifty & fat is out by twelve(under) though less fat Im not sure is a bad thing ?..one more mocha coffee outa bump that up & add a lil more protein & carb also. overall calorie intake is just over 1000 calories, apparently should be closer to 1500 so Ill be off to shop for more protein sources post haste, thanks for the heads up about diet tracker, tc & continued good health to u :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think your calories should be more like 2,100.

You need 1,800 a day average for Women, that's for no exercise, so allow another 300 a day for exercise.

Don't however just crank them up a lot at once, step them up gradually.

I reccomend the following two methods, based on a 300 calorie a day rise.

1. 5g Protein, 5g Carbs, 1g Fat, (49 calories more per meal).

2. 5g Carbs, 3-4g Fat, (47-56 calories approx more per meal).

I would definitely opt for option 1 right now, as you said your Protein was off a bit, but perhaps after that, you could use option 2, if you thought the added Protein was enough.

Give your Metabolism a week or two to adjust to the calories, before increasing again, as just bumping up around 600 a day right off, could be quite taxing on the Thyroid and Endocrine system in general, and more of those calories could be seen by the body as excess, convert to fat, and hinder your progress.

This issue could be lessened by stepping up calories in smaller, less physically taxing amounts, as mentioned before.

Does that possible methodology, sound like something you would consider, or would be comfortable with?

Not saying you must do that, just throwing it in the mix so to speak.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Wowsa that is alot of calories, though yes the method seems something I should be able to manage, think the eating will be a more of a challenge than the weights & cardio ;) Thanks for the reply, its much appreciated :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Todays Workout

1)Incline press
12x3x25lbs
1&2 done alternating
2)Reverse Flys (first time)
12x3x35lbs

3)Lat Raises (side)
12x3x12lbs
3&4 done alternating
4)Pullovers
12x3x25lbs

Front Squats w DB
12x3x35lbs

Straight leg DL
3x10x95lb

Romanian DL (first time)
12x3x45lb (bar)

Standing twists
12x2x45lb (bar)

Russian twists
12x2x25lbs

Crunch with twist @top Medicine ball 10lbs
12x2

Leg throwdowns
12x2

The program I'm following, says sets of 2 for all excersizes, but today I decided to put it to 3 sets, however I'll return to the 2, because being new to all body workouts, this has tired me so much I dont have energy to eat !! At least for the 4 weeks, then will review the workout.I used to spend 1.5 hrs doing weights (splits) & NEVER did I drip sweat, as I'm now doing with the all body workout :) Hmm also after reveiwing squats 101 on figure athletics page..Ive noticed I had been doing them only half way, this whole time :| Hopefully they r correct now.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

HIIT 20 mins

Weight as of last nutritionist appointment was 136.8 (june 9th)
Weight today 132.6
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Good job on the 4+ lbs loss! :D You sound really focused and determined, so I've no doubt you are going to get to where you want to be in no time.
Just curious...what weight do you want to get too? Your profile pictures show that you are fit and toned....looking good for all of us 40+ gals!! :D :D So how much weight do you want to lose, or are you just trying to get more definition and muscle?
At any rate, keep up the good work, it's paying off! :D
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

I started at 164.8, 16 months back, when I hit the 136.8 in June I decided to focus on the fat percentage instead, those little pockets of fat, inside upper arm, inside thigh, etc.Since starting this whole body workout & HIIT I can see it won't take long & yes a bit o defintion & strength would be most welcome, son laughed at the protein shakes on the kitchen table..though he has no idea the weight I lift, maybe when I can pick him up & move him over a few feet he wont laugh so much :D ( he is an adult ) Thanks for the congrats, feelin a bit of spring in step after the scale ;) Id hit a plateau, which is what brought me to look online & join shapefit, where there r alot of great people, take care & all the best with ur endeavours :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Todays Workout

Lat pulldowns
2x10x70lbs
alternating with
Full pushups
2x10

Bent over row
2x12x20lb
alternating with
Push press
2x8x45lb

DL
2x10x95lb

RDL
2x10x65lb

Bulgarian split squats
2x10x45lbs

Windshield wipers
3x10

Standing Preachers Ball curl
3x10

Barbell Roll Outs
3x10

The push press is new, so only sets of 8 so far.If u want to relocate your muscles, try those split squats ! ouchie ;) Though at least I know they were worked.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Wow just watched a YouTube demonstration of a Bulgarian split squat! I must try that! I think I can do it at home using a kitchen chair and just some 5 lb. hand weights to start. Heck I may not be able to get back up once I squat the first time!! :shock:
Okay, you got me stumped....what is Windshield Wipers?

Nice work today :D
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Bulgarian split squat - When I 1st did it... I didn't use any weights at all...
I was scared I couldn't get up! :shock:
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Yeah I used only the bar, lol & was wobbly on first set, for sure ;) Windshield wipers r lying on the floor, with 2 heavy DB one on either side, then using ur obliques to lift legs together & preferably straight, from one side, to middle to other side & bk up :) Actually not sure if is middle part, need relook at it myself :| was first time doin them. Yes do try them, the bench I used for foot was to low, chair height might be good :)