Fygle's road to mass gain

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Fygle
REGULAR

Re: Fygle's road to mass gain

Post by Fygle »

Weights day:

Dumbbell flyes incline pos 1: 7+5+5+5+5+dropsetx20 (30>36>36>36>36>20kg) (same weight 4x7 next)
+Chinups: 8+6+6+5

Barbell deadlift: Had to ditch this one today, lower back's been acting up since Saturdays workout :?

Seated barbell military press in front of head: 11+7+7 (30>33>33>33kg) (5x5 more weight next. This one is really frustrating me. Stagnated, even seem to be getting slightly weaker (???) on this movement)
+Inverse dumbbell flyes straight arms: 7+7+7+7 (15>15>15>15kg) (add 0,5kg next)

Dips 10kg backpack til fail: 11+9+9
+Lunges 9+7+7+7 (20>23>23>23kg) (add 1kg next)

Diet:

6:00 bowl of oatmeal w/half a cup blueberries, a few raisins, cinnamon, 1 tsp sweetener, 1 tsp honey + a carrot, a 1 scoop protein shake
8:30 ~25 almonds, a pear
10:30 3 slices wg bread w/lf cheese & ham
14:30 chicken wok w/2 chicken breasts, vegs and wg rice
17:00 pre weights: smoothie w/frozen blue/rasp/banana, , plain yoghurt, skim milk, oats + 1 wg crispbread w/ham
19:30 post weights 3 slices wg bread w/eggs, smoked salmon, lf cheese & ham, a carrot, green tea w/honey, a 1 scoop protein shake
21:00 misc unsalted nuts
23:30 leftovers from chicken wok, 1/2 scoop protein shake
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

What have I started :shock: :P :P :P.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

I've been there on the Military Press.....weight stalled...can't seem to get more. It's a pain, when that happens. Keep pushing, mentally focus on the delt when your pressing. Same lower back issue for me last week on deads....switched to RDL's this week, and went well, as far as back, but hams sure are sore.....lol
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Boss Man wrote:What have I started :shock: :P :P :P.
Quite possibly the new fad in the pet industry.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

ironwill wrote:I've been there on the Military Press.....weight stalled...can't seem to get more. It's a pain, when that happens. Keep pushing, mentally focus on the delt when your pressing. Same lower back issue for me last week on deads....switched to RDL's this week, and went well, as far as back, but hams sure are sore.....lol
Ah, thanks man I'll keep trying. Guess you can't add 0,5 kg a week forever without hitting some kind of wall eventually, especially on the shoulders. problem with the back is I feel it when I'm moving around too. It goes away if I sit still or lie lown for an hour. Friday I've been invited to a birthday party at a spa/sauna kind of place, but after that I plan to relax 100% to see if that helps. Saturday I'll probably just pick a few easy exercises that doesn't put any kind of strain on the back, shrugs and such maybe...skipping a workout is the absolute last resort.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:
ironwill wrote:I've been there on the Military Press.....weight stalled...can't seem to get more. It's a pain, when that happens. Keep pushing, mentally focus on the delt when your pressing. Same lower back issue for me last week on deads....switched to RDL's this week, and went well, as far as back, but hams sure are sore.....lol
Ah, thanks man I'll keep trying. Guess you can't add 0,5 kg a week forever without hitting some kind of wall eventually, especially on the shoulders. problem with the back is I feel it when I'm moving around too. It goes away if I sit still or lie lown for an hour. Friday I've been invited to a birthday party at a spa/sauna kind of place, but after that I plan to relax 100% to see if that helps. Saturday I'll probably just pick a few easy exercises that doesn't put any kind of strain on the back, shrugs and such maybe...skipping a workout is the absolute last resort.
Yuh, I did deads then went to t-bar rows, which your bent at like 45 degrees, two warm-up sets were fine, then I put on 140lbs. pulled off the floor and positioned for the pull, third one in felt a nice pain lower back....set the weight down, and said have a nice day. I felt it for 3 or 4 days after that during regular daily activities, but now it has gone away. I'd say your doing the right thing, go easy, and give it a chance to heal up.

Sounds like the b-day party should be fun.....maybe some time in the sauna could relax the back a bit.... :)
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

I didn't get one of snaps really, I just overdid it I think, it came creeping up on me late Sunday evening. Romanian deadlifts followed by regular deadlifts. Live and learn, I guess. Appreciate your concern, mate :)
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:I didn't get one of snaps really, I just overdid it I think, it came creeping up on me late Sunday evening. Romanian deadlifts followed by regular deadlifts. Live and learn, I guess. Appreciate your concern, mate :)
thats sweet...no snap, and yuh the Romanians followed by Deads would definately hurt...... :)
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Rest day

Diet:

6:00 bowl of oatmeal w/half a cup blueberries, a few raisins, cinnamon, 1 tsp sweetener, 1 tsp honey + a carrot, a 1 scoop protein shake
8:30 ~25 almonds, a pear
11:00 ham salad w/wg roll
14:00 lean pork w/onion, pepper, cucumber and wg rice
16:30 small smoothie w/oats, blue/rasp/banana, skim milk, , plain yoghurt + a carrot
18:30 small piece of cake with coffee
21:00 bowl of muesli, a banana
23:00 leftovers from 14:00 meal with an added turkeydog, 1/2 scoop protein shake, green tea w/honey

Probably should have had better meals 14:00-23:00. By 21:00 I was actually stomach growling hungry, can't remember last time :shock: Not good, but was out and about.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Fygle wrote: Quite possibly the new fad in the pet industry.
What? Geneticlaly Modified Animals. That's like the South Park geneticist guy, but turbo charged and on Crack.

If I go down I'm taking you with me :wink:.

It's wasn't all idea to make freaks of nature officer, he was partly responsible. At least one of the severed Cat Heads I stitched onto a dead Owl, was one he gave me. I didn't dig it up I swear :P.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Busy weekend, no time to exercise, and diet's been less than optimal. Time to get it right again tomorrow! Birthday party for friend was awesome. Steam rooms, outside bubble baths, saunas, steak dinner, clubbing. Can't go wrong with that. Today I slept in and have been out of the house all day, family and friends. back is a little better but still sore...needs to get better soon, the weights are calling! I'll probably try a light jog tomorrow and weights on monday.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Sounds like a grand time at the party. Glad to hear your back is a bit better; wise choice, I think letting it heal up. Was just reading on a different forum about a guy who was doing deads, and felt a sharp pain, said he hard-headed it, and finished the workout. Now he's headed for an MRI, and apparently has a pinched nerve or something, and the doc had restricted his workouts. Not fun.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

That doesn't sound good at all. I did not get the sharp pain, in fact I didn't feel it much at all the first 2 days. I've had weights related injuries before and it's taken about 2 weeks to heal a muscle pull, which I'm hoping this is. I feel it a couple inches to the left of the lower back spine, so that's a good sign, I hope. I've never dealt with pinched nerves before, is that a serious injury?
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Weights day:

Flat barbell bench: 9+7+7+7 (47,5>52,5>52,5>52,5kg) (add 2,5kg 5x5 next)

Dumbbell shrugs: 9+9+9 (27,5>27,5>27,5kg) (add 2,5kg 4x7 next)

Chinups: 9+7+6+6
+Upright barbell rows: 11+9+9 (17,5>22>22kg) (add 1kg 4x7 next)

Lunges: 7+7+7+7 (24>24>24>24kg) (add 1kg next)

Skull crusher: 7+7+7+7 (24>24>24>24) (add 0,5kg next)

Alternative setup today, chose movements that would not put much strain on back. Worked alright, I think. Status quo on the back, though :( Didn't help much to rest up during the weekend. I miss squats, deadlifts, bent over rows.

Diet:

8:30 ~25 almonds, an apple
10:30 3 slices wg bread w/lf cheese
14:00 lean pork w/vegs and wg rice
17:00 pre weights: a few almonds, smoothie w/frozen blue/rasp/banana, , plain yoghurt, skim milk, oats
19:30 post weights: 3 slices wg bread w/vegs and turkeydog omelette, green tea, 1 scoop protein shake, 1/2 banana
22:00 leftovers from 14:00 meal w/added turkeydog and iceberg
23:00 1 scoop protein shake, a carrot
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:That doesn't sound good at all. I did not get the sharp pain, in fact I didn't feel it much at all the first 2 days. I've had weights related injuries before and it's taken about 2 weeks to heal a muscle pull, which I'm hoping this is. I feel it a couple inches to the left of the lower back spine, so that's a good sign, I hope. I've never dealt with pinched nerves before, is that a serious injury?
I've never had one either, and not sure how they deal with it. I think it can mean surgery in some cases. I think this guy was deading over 400 at the time, and then didn't quit, so he didn't help himself out any. So you've lifted in the past, or is it kind of ongoing?