Fygle's road to mass gain

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Fygle
REGULAR

Re: Fygle's road to mass gain

Post by Fygle »

ironwill wrote:So you've lifted in the past, or is it kind of ongoing?
Not sure what you mean?
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:
ironwill wrote:So you've lifted in the past, or is it kind of ongoing?
Not sure what you mean?
Did you just start lifting when you turned 30, or had you lifted weight in your teens and twenties? Sounded like you had lifted in the past, and had some muscle strains.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

I started lifting some last summer (terrible program, though), but it was on and off for a couple of months, then I picked it back up again around this christmas.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Fygle wrote:I started lifting some last summer (terrible program, though), but it was on and off for a couple of months, then I picked it back up again around this christmas.
Ok...I see. I had lifted years ago, when in the U.S. Air Force, but got away from it for umpteen years. Wasn't sure if your story was similar. Sounds like your on a good program now, and to me starting in a good place. Your basically looking to build lean muscle, but don't have alot of fat to lose, and your strict about what you eat, so hopefully when the scale moves up it will be muscle......... 8)
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

When I started last summer I had no idea how to do it properly, I'd do weights 5 days in a row, until I finally ripped a muscle in left peck doing bench...I was in so much pain I could hardly move for 2 weeks. The smallest muscle twitch and I'd shout out in pain. Major sickleave heh.

No I don't have that much fat to burn. I'm trying not to overdo it so I won't have to cut too much at a later stage. I try to eat often but never too full. Slower progress, maybe, but I'd rather not get too much fat on body. I'm not in a hurry. We'll see how it pans out.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Cardio day:

Diagonal planks 35+35 > 13x tuckcrunches > Diagonal planks 35+35 > 13x tuckcrunches > sideplanks 50+50 > 13x tuckcrunches > 45min jog.

Skipped reverse crunches as I felt it could be bad for back.

Broke record again by 12 secs, 6:24 1 mile around the block! Felt strong today.

Diet:

6:00 bowl of oatmeal w/half a cup blueberries, a few raisins, cinnamon, 1 tsp sweetener, 1 tsp honey + a carrot, a 1 scoop protein shake
8:30 ~25 almonds, an apple
10:30 3 slices wg bread w/vegs and turkeydog omelette
13:30 fish soup w/salmon and vegs
16:00 pre cardio: smoothie w/frozen blue/rasp/banana, , plain yoghurt, skim milk, oats, a wg crispbread w/lf cheese & ham, 1/2 scoop protein shake
18:30 post cardio: 1/2 banana, 1/2 scoop protein shake, 3 slices wg bread w/omelette and lf cheese & ham, green tea
20:00 2 fists misc unsalted nuts, a bottle of beer
22:30 leftovers from 13:30 meal, 1/2 scoop protein shake, a carrot
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

PS: 4yr older brother commented on biceps this Sunday, so I guess something is happening :P We have a slight rivalry going, he is dying to destroy me biking and jogging this summer.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

brother is also 4 years older than me... After I gave him a round house kick on the stomach & head....
He for some reason never want to spar with me again :twisted: ... Bummer
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

oh man torn pec, I've heard are super painful, quite common in Powerlifting circles. Always nice when people notice the changes to appearance, I'd say you've got him thinking.
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Nokie173 wrote: brother is also 4 years older than me... After I gave him a round house kick on the stomach & head....
He for some reason never want to spar with me again :twisted: ... Bummer

hehe.......wasn't what he expected 'eh? :twisted:
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Weights day:

Dumbbell flyes incline pos 1: 11+9+9+dropsetx20 (30>34>34>20kg) (add weight 5x5 next)
+Barbell side lunges: 9+9+9 (24>24>24kg) (add 1kg next)

Pullups: 8+6+5+4
+Dumbbell Front Raises: 5+5+5+5+5 (25>25>25>25>25kg)

Barbell shrugs behind back: 9+9+9 (27,5>27,5>27,5kg) (did not like behind the back, don't do again)
+Bent over inverse flyes straight arms: 7+7+7+7 (15,5>15,5>15,5>15,5kg) (same weight 3x9 next)

Diet:

6:00 bowl of oatmeal w/half a cup blueberries, a few raisins, cinnamon, 1 tsp sweetener, 1 tsp honey + a carrot, a 1 scoop protein shake
8:30 ~25 almonds, an apple
11:30 3 slices wg bread w/lf cheese & ham
14:00 cod w/vegs and potatoes
16:30 pre weights: smoothie w/frozen blue/rasp/banana, , plain yoghurt, skim milk, oats, a wg crispbread w/lf cheese & ham, 1/2 scoop protein shake
19:00 post weights: 3 slices wg bread w/eggs and caviar, 1 scoop protein shake, green tea
21:00 pistachios, a bottle of beer
23:30 bowl of muesli w/skim milk, a carrot, 1/2 scoop protein shake
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

How are things going in here? How's the back feeling? Oh by the way, I have to admit I opened your link....... :D or maybe it should be this..... :oops:
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Hey Will, thanks for asking. back is sloooowly getting better. It's still not at the point where I'd start doing deadlifts again. After cardio and weights I can actually not feel it at all while I'm still warm, which probably means it's a muscle issue wouldn't you think?

The weather here this Easter couldn't be better! Clear skies and 40-50F. Just now I came back from a superb jog. Happy positive people in the streets again, chicks to undress with eyes, ahh life is good right now! I fooled at least 1 person yesterday :P

Cardio day:

Diagonal planks 35+35 > 13x tuckcrunches > Diagonal planks 35+35 > 13x tuckcrunches > sideplanks 50+50 > 12x hanging oblique raises > 45min jog

I reduced rest time between ab sets to 15 secs, total time ~9min, pretty intense. Is that ok for abs twice a week? Plan is to increase plank duration by a few secs and crunch reps by 1 per week. I'm assuming I get some indirect ab stimulation from regular weights as well. Did a new "route" on todays jog, ran completely on random. Last 15 mins I ran ~45sec sprint, ~1:15 walk intervals. I think it's best to do intervals early in the session, more energy to give on the sprints.

Have a happy easter all!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Fygle wrote: chicks to undress with eyes, ahh life is good right now!
hahaha - that's why you look forward to warmer weather!!
ironwill
VETERAN

Post by ironwill »

Thank-you ladies, I bit tongue, and wasn't the first one to post about that comment......it wasn't easy.....and I don't think I'm the only one fooled, just the only one to admit it.... :mrgreen: