Time to start cardio after Weights???

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

badversion
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Time to start cardio after Weights???

Post by badversion »

My routine -
Mon - lower body weights
tues - upper body weights
weds - cardio
thrus - lower body weights
fri - upper body weights
sat - cardio
sun - rest

I am planning to start cardio after weights i.e. on monday, tuesday, thrusday and friday and on Wednesday and Saturday I will be resting and sunday I will have sports match of football.

My motive is to - gain muscle and losing my fat .
My questions are - Is this a good plan and Do I have enough rest days? or my previous workout is better?

I want my workout to be intense.

I have a good clean meal eating lots of veggies and taking protein supplement after workout eating boiled eggs and eating good fat. having a whole wheat low fat sandwiches.

Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Time to start cardio after Weights???

Post by Boss Man »

Try this instead. I've highlighted the amendments.
badversion wrote:My routine -
Mon - lower body weights
tues - upper body weights / Cardio
weds - Rest day
thrus - lower body weights
fri - upper body weights / Cardio
sat - Rest day
sun - rest
The Cardio comes after upper body weights, so you're not doing stuff that taxes the Legs more after you've worked them.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

It is exceedingly difficult to gain muscle while losing fat especially if you have been lifting for more than a couple of months this is why bodybuilders go through periodization with cutting and building phases to their routine. Your best bet for congruent work is to do your cardio on separate days from weight training or at minimum 4 hours apart with weights first. When you do them back to back you actually take away your pump which inhibits muscle recovery and you also lower your testosterone.

Consider doing sprint or interval training rather than distance running to burn off fat.
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It can become harder 'tis true, but thankfully extra muscle does burn 45-50 calories for every lb you add and if you jiggle the Carb and Fat ratios around, you can reduce the amount of fat gain you get with muscle gain, but as Ult said, expecting the two things to coincide for a considerable amount of time is not realistic. A few months perhaps, but that's all and as he also said, bodyduilders do like to use the periodlsation of bulk and cut. Obviously cut for warmer months and bulk in the colder months.

Certainly if you want ot avoid a lot of Fat gain with muscle gain, don't eat like big bodybuilders do, if you're not seasoned, as they need the 4,000+ calories, but less seasoned lifters don't and frankly creating big caloric excesses, that will dwindle over time as you use more calories to get stronger, isn't the answer and will create more Fat conversion that will be harder to shift further down the line.

Step calories up every few weeks aor months by a reasonable amount and that should help cut the amount of Fat you get when you bulk.
shawn9
STARTING OUT

Post by shawn9 »

Great routine badversion,...
can you share some six pack abs exercises,..and also abs proper workout,...i really crazed to get my abs quickly but don't know about the proper exercises,..
thanks,..
AZFitnessGuy
STARTING OUT

Post by AZFitnessGuy »

ok i agree with some of the stuff said, but since you said you are starting football im gonna assume your young, i think your program is great, it's intense and you can make great gains from it. as far as whether to do cardio after or before weights if you talk to 10 different trainers you'll get 10 different good answers, my advice is whatever keeps you motivated, i sure hate to do cardio after legs, but if it keeps your going then do that, committment is more important than the minute reps you may lose etc.

-Joe
Personal Trainer
http://www.fitnessfromgroundzero.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;