Deadlift and smith machine

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

skully
REGULAR

Deadlift and smith machine

Post by skully »

Deadlift question

Is it possible to do proper form deadlift with a smith machine? I see some girls at the gym doing it with their back arches, almost 'U' shape-flipped like and I told one of them that's wrong and bad as the back is not straight (spine-wise)

In the gym they have these free-weight bars, but the the plate size are bigger than the bars (hole) . as it's not the barbell usually used (grey one)

I tired doing deads with the msith machine and I felt a lot of strain on my back (the bad kind) so I stopped it. and reverted to the free weight bar.

Ideally, which one is better in the sense of muscle-worked & technique & less likely to get injured -with smith or free weight?-

I usually do the romanian deadlift, which is sort of a like a squat, but is not. I feel sore 90% the next day from it until today, even though I train legs once a week.

Shoulder question

When doing side laterly raises, shoudl your whole body be still except your shoulders or is it okay to "swing" a bit for heavier weights? I used to do the latter, but recently stopped as I am not convinced it's proper form or it's okay to swing. So yes I am doing side lateral rasied wih only 4/5kgs at the moment. I mean do you really need to train heavy to get rounded shoulders?

My numbers are:
Military press: 20kgs
shoulder press (surprisungly) less than free weight, 15kgs, 20 is too heavy.
Dumbell press: 8-10kgs depends.
front raises: 6kgs.
I do shrugs too, with 14kgs/arm

Advice will be appreciated on this.
skully
REGULAR

Re: Deadlift and smith machine

Post by skully »

If you want to isolate the muscle, doing a little "english" lol, will definitely work against you no?

Ya i noticed that with dead, it does restrict form a lot.
PuroRock327
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by PuroRock327 »

skully wrote:Deadlift question
Ideally, which one is better in the sense of muscle-worked & technique & less likely to get injured -with smith or free weight?-

Shoulder question

When doing side laterly raises, shoudl your whole body be still except your shoulders or is it okay to "swing" a bit for heavier weights? I used to do the latter, but recently stopped as I am not convinced it's proper form or it's okay to swing. So yes I am doing side lateral rasied wih only 4/5kgs at the moment. I mean do you really need to train heavy to get rounded shoulders?
Free weights in the opinion of many, are the best way to go. The Deadlift is considered one of the true powerlifts, increasing and establishing overall body strength, from your legs, back, midsection, shoulders/lats to your arms... the whole body. The Smith machine would NOT give you the same workout, for the reasons mentioned.

As for shoulder raises... I try to keep as still as possible, utilizing the shoulders and lats only. Any swing is simply a by-product and not part of my routine. A little swing is okay, if it's a natural movement, but not okay if you're using your entire body to generate the movement.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Thank you for your reply Purorock.

I agree it is truly a a powerlift. Weirdly enough, aside to a bodybuilder friend of mine (2 years she been doing) and me (1 year) although I have a lot LESS mass & definition right now. I see myself progressing extremely well with the deadlift (currently at 60kgs ~ 132lbs or so., while she's lifting slightly lower than me in that particular exercise.

Not sure if my progress is slow, fast or average. I have started out last year in Nov with simply 10kgs and now I can do up to 60kgs/4 reps max that is. I'd love to do 100kgs by the end of this year.
PuroRock327
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by PuroRock327 »

That's excellent progress. Keep it up!
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Machines take away the need to stabilize the body yourself.You should be able to pinch some skin in the lower back area to determine proper form.
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

PuroRock327 wrote:That's excellent progress. Keep it up!
Thank you. I think it isafe to say that I'd like to do a deadlift with 100kgs by the end of the year. Doesn't seem far-fetched! Or at least 90. If I can do a dead lift with 2.5kg/month or 6 weeks, I should be able to do around 90 by the end of the year. Hm...that would be awesome!
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

The Smith Machine is a bad choice for deads because it forced your body to move the weight in one direction. In a free weight dead, the bar is dragged up the shins, so the bar moves both vertically and horizontally, if that makes sence. The Smith simply doesn't allow you to move the bar mechanically as the body intends. Hope this helps.
Scott
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

scottgaran wrote:The Smith Machine is a bad choice for deads because it forced your body to move the weight in one direction. In a free weight dead, the bar is dragged up the shins, so the bar moves both vertically and horizontally, if that makes sence. The Smith simply doesn't allow you to move the bar mechanically as the body intends. Hope this helps.
Scott
Thanks scott that helps a lot. So it's better doing deads with free weight bars, even tho they're not the proper barbells? I've been doing this for a while and I feel its A-OKAY. Not the best bar to use, but that's all that available. I tried doing straight deads with smith machine and it's kinda okay, but with romanian they're def not good at all and don't feel right.
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

I would definitely use collars on the bar and see if that holds the weights secure. Be careful not to hurt yourself. If you can't do a lift safely, I would stop and do some other lifts. Perhaps putting a collar on the inside and out would secure the weights. If not do something else.
Scott
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Oh, there is that collar thing to secure the weights, but it's really a shitty bar/collar...just dropping the weights, I mean actually dropping the collar open off, i usually after i finish my set, i lower my body to put the weight down instead of dropping.
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

Have you asked your gym to get a proper bar? There is a real safety concern here. Especially for the big lifts like the Deadlift or squat. Having bad equipment can put you at risk for serious injury!
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

I did ask, but these fuckers, sorry, Fitness First won't be doing such a thing for a female-only gym. As having a 20kg barbell free weight bar is such a mans thing. UGH. i changed gyms more like upgraded cuz one gym had few equipement and i rlly needed the smith machine given i have no spotter/trainer...yet the older one had the proper bench with the bar, but this one has the smith machine...so its ...err..confusing. Is 60kgs considered a lot? I mean it is for me, but i dont think its A LOT. I squat with smith machine so no worried there.
scottgaran
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by scottgaran »

Do other women at the gym do deadlifts? How do they do it safely?
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

Lol. Women who do deadlift in my gym = only 3 of us.

2 do it on the smith machine, which I told them I don't think it's a good dea (and we both lift similar weights 40-60kgs range.)

While other women don't lift more than 15-20kgs, which are those plastic plates attached to the plastic cheesy bar I use, which are in the range f 1kg 2.5kgs, 5kgs 0 and adding 60 to it is impossible :)

Where I live, HEAVY weight lifting is still considered a man's-thing, or somewhat taboo among the people themselves.

"I don't want to do gain muscles, that's why I only lift 5lbs for bicep curls...I just want to tone"...-Ah, that ain't gonna work and nor you're etting anywhere near bulky with 5lbs! Even if with 20lbs (which is what I use)