Clean and jerk technique

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

lilesy
STARTING OUT

Clean and jerk technique

Post by lilesy »

Hey everyone i just moved away from my home town and dont have a gym anymore, all i have is a barbell with 50kg max. I have started doing mainly bench press, squats, deadlifts and clean and jerks but i'm a bit un educated when it comes to clean and jerks.

I was wondering if they were still effective without going into the lunge position as you are lifting the weight above your head.

I videoed myself if anyone would like to have a look and help me out. although i'm not sure if u can send videos over this site?

cheers
Bonnie
VETERAN

Re: Clean and jerk technique

Post by Bonnie »

Sounds more like a clean and press.Yes you should be able to post a link for a video.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

Okay I just watched the two different lifts, however I still don't really have any much insight personally. I would think there would be less glut, quad etc work without the lunge finish.
ArkansasRob
STARTING OUT

Post by ArkansasRob »

Its a prefered method by the user.

Some lifters had different body types and centers of balance. Some lunge because they use their lower back in the lift causing this rotation behind them and have to keep the weight from falling behind their head. If you film the weight from the bottom position to the top position, if it moves completely vertical with no horizontal movement, then you don't need to lunge.

Its a really weird concept but I am a huge fan of olympic power lifting and thats what I got from it.

A clean and Jerk- You drop to get under the weight
A clean and press- you push press the weight