bulky, muscular stomach

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

strongmind_body
STARTING OUT

bulky, muscular stomach

Post by strongmind_body »

HI everyone! I am 39 yr old, mom of three, had 1 c-section. I started working out on a regular basis 6 yrs. ago. I do elliptical machine 2 days/wk, Tae Bo 2 days/wk and a mix of free weights and cardio 1 day/wk. Since starting the Tae Bo (with "amped" bar 1 day/wk, without 1 day/wk) I have gained weight, and I believe it is due to more muscle. The problem is, stomach, which has always been problem area, sticks out more now than before. The musules along sides are pretty tight, but I think I am pushing abs out while doing the most strenous moves, and this is buidling muscle and making me look bigger in this area. I have tried to "hold it in" but that only works for a minute or so, and then I feel like I can't breath! I love the results that I have gotten in arms, shoulders, etc, so I don't want to nix these workouts. Any suggestions on me getting a slimmer waistline??
johnroberts
STARTING OUT

Re: bulky, muscular stomach

Post by johnroberts »

it has been biggest problem for years now. well, sit ups doesn't work. i guess it should be a combination of proper diet and workout.
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

exactly.
T.P.W.
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by T.P.W. »

Could be a genetic thing. If it's muscle that you're referring to then that could just be the way your abs grow when you build them.

Some peoples grow flat, others grow outwards, as do mine. Can't comment on the types or way you exercise that affects this as I've honestly no idea on that one :?

As mentioned above, clean diet with low salt will help reduce fat and retained water in the body as a whole. Keep working hard though! You know you're ripped, and that's what counts :)
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

There is one more thing maybe worth mentioning.Be sure to engage your abdominals, particularly the transverse ones BEFORE you do the movement or lift.
raysteve
STARTING OUT

Post by raysteve »

you can do it man. many were able to do it..so don't lose hope.