squats and lunges if overweight?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculargirl
VETERAN

squats and lunges if overweight?

Post by musculargirl »

Just wondering if that is bad on your knees to do squats and lunges while overweight or obese?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: squats and lunges if overweight?

Post by Boss Man »

It shouldn't be, unless you do the Squats with too much weight or a poor technique.

When Squatting, you shouldn't end up with your Knnes sticking out over your feet. If you project your rear backwards whilst squatting, your Knees will bend, but should not extend forwards.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Thanks boss good to know. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Just do the technique unweighted a few times to get it down, preferably infront of the mirror, if you're new to Squats, then go for low weight and slowly work up set by set, never estimate what you can lift, incase you go too high. Even if it takes 2-3 sessions to find your "happy medium", better that than going to high and potentially injuring yourself :).

Take care and keep being proud of your efforts and for never giving up on yourself. I'm proud of you and I want you to achieve the results, I believe whole-heartedly you are capable of, because you are a lovely, warm Lady and deserve physical happiness

GOOD LUCK :).
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Boss Man wrote:Take care and keep being proud of your efforts and for never giving up on yourself. I'm proud of you and I want you to achieve the results, I believe whole-heartedly you are capable of, because you are a lovely, warm Lady and deserve physical happiness
Thanks Boss! I hope i can as well. :D
kaithsandy
STARTING OUT

Post by kaithsandy »

Squats and lounges are compound exercises, and they will surely help to lose weight. It is best option for becoming stronger and leaner. It will help to build up muscles in legs. Also, doing squats and lounges properly can burn out more calories from your body, helping to reduce weight.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Lunges and step ups shouldn't be bad either boss? I really like step ups but it seems with weight it wouldn't be so good to do? :?

While we are on the subject what exercises are good for the knees. I know for cardio, biking and rollerblading are good.

I don't have bad knees but the longer i have this weight i know the better chances of having knee problems is.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Step ups are good for training the Legs, but if you find the range of motion, or using a decent height per step is a bit too much, based on your current weight and mobility, then do something else.

Otherwise you might find you're using what could be less than 3 inches of height on the step and it won't be that effective.