cardio weight loss. target the tummy

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ladybugsy
STARTING OUT

cardio weight loss. target the tummy

Post by ladybugsy »

I recently started watching Dr.Oz and he suggested to target a flabby stomach to do cardio at a regular speed then going fast for a couple of seconds then back to regular speed. Is this correct? goal is to lose 100lbs. I'm 40, have high BP and arthritis and nerve pain in feet which are all being addressed by drs...I have been tracking what I eat on cell and going to the gym 2-4x wk and do yoga sporadically and have lost 7lbs. I know I should start lifting weights but have been putting that off until late Jan early Feb due to a recent shoulder injection. What is the best way to lose weight until I can lift weights? I've been doing ellyptical for about 30 mins. regular speed is 3.5ish and I count to 60 then go super fast 8-9ish and count to 10. Is this a good idea? Then I go on treadmill and walk at regular pace 2.5ish for 30 mins. Any suggestions????
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: cardio weight loss. target the tummy

Post by musculArgirl2 »

ladybugsy wrote: recently started watching Dr.Oz and he suggested to target a flabby stomach to do cardio at a regular speed then going fast for a couple of seconds then back to regular speed. Is this correct? goal is to lose 100lbs. I'm 40, have high BP and arthritis and nerve pain in feet which are all being addressed by drs...I have been tracking what I eat on cell and going to the gym 2-4x wk and do yoga sporadically and have lost 7lbs. I know I should start lifting weights but have been putting that off until late Jan early Feb due to a recent shoulder injection. What is the best way to lose weight until I can lift weights? I've been doing ellyptical for about 30 mins. regular speed is 3.5ish and I count to 60 then go super fast 8-9ish and count to 10. Is this a good idea? Then I go on treadmill and walk at regular pace 2.5ish for 30 mins. Any suggestions????
Hi ladybug! I think that is good advice. Maybe someone else can add to this too but from i what i've read on here and elsewhere interval training (going slow at times and fast at others) is the way to go for calorie burn. I am 36 and need to lose a lot of weight too. I also i think have a mild case of plantar in feet right now. So i feel i am in a simliar boat like you.

Also weight training is good for this like you said and elliptical too.

You might want to see if your treamill has any incline workouts for workout out. that's what i do right now and i really like it instead of just walking at the same pace.

I'm not sure how long your suppose to do interval workouts though. It sounds like you go for an hour. I've been trying to split cardio for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. So not sure on if you should continously do interval training for an hour or not or if it would matter. or maybe you should stick to your same pace of 30 minutes on the treadmill after the elliptical. not sure.

Maybe somone like bossman (the moderator) can offer their advice on that. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You can do weights, but I wouldn't owing to what you said about the Shoulder. You can hang fire on it anyway as you are losing weight, simply by doing Cardio, some Yoga and being more sensible with food choices.

In another 8-12 weeks perhaps reconsider, when you have a firm all clear regarding past injury sites.
jmvane15
STARTING OUT

Post by jmvane15 »

You should definitely take up swimming. It's one of the best exercises and is a fun and great way to lose weight.
ladybugsy
STARTING OUT

Post by ladybugsy »

Is it worth doing 2hrs of cardio versus 1hr? I've cut back calorie intake and wonder if I'm not taking in enough calories for 2hrs. And if I do cardio fast and slow should I do that first or walk on treadmill for half hr then do fast/slow on ellyptical. I can't do it on treadmill bc I have arthritis in toe and it barely bends.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

2 hours would be too much. If you burned some muscle you could gain fat, because 1lb of added muscle burns an additional 45-50 calories a day, os losing some would affect your metabolism and could possibly cause a bit of weight gain, or at least enough additional fat storage to stall or seriously work against your efforts.

1 hour would be fine, done around 4-5 times a week.

There is one possible issue with swimming, which is that it could become adaptable if you did it the same way each time, meaning the body would adjust to it and it could lose efficacy.

You could correct this ine one of three ways.

1. Change the stroke and / or cadence each week.

2. Change the stroke and / or cadence each session.

3. Change the stroke and / or cadence each length / width.

The variation should keep swimming fresh and hopefully eliminate any possibility of the body acclimatising to it, which in turn might cause it's effects to stagnate somewhat, whereas frequently changing how you do it shouldn't.
ladybugsy
STARTING OUT

Post by ladybugsy »

I'm not swimming at the moment. I've been doing treadmill, ellyptical and bike. I try to go fast and slow on ellyptical and regular speed on the others...and I try to switch it up a liittle with the amt of time I spend on each machine.
ladybugsy
STARTING OUT

Post by ladybugsy »

I also enjoy doing yoga. Is it wise to do cardio at gym then come home and do yoga? Would thath make any difference in the amt of weight I lose?
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

ladybugsy wrote:And if I do cardio fast and slow should I do that first or walk on treadmill for half hr then do fast/slow on ellyptical.
You could walk on the treadmill for 15 min. before you do your elliptical intervals, to warm up your muscles, then do 15 min. on the treadmill afterwards to cool down. Try to increase the "fast" parts of your interval gradually adding more time and/or intensity. Maybe try going 90 seconds slow/30 seconds fast, repeat that cycle 7 or 8 times for about 15 minutes of interval work, then 15 minutes at just a moderate speed, enough to keep your heart rate up, but not so hard you are overdoing it and gasping for air :D . Then cooldown on the treadmill. Just a couple of suggestions. :D
I think yoga after the gym workout is a great way to stretch out your muscles and increase flexibility. Good idea. Not sure about if it will help you lose more weight, it can't hurt! :wink:
Diet is an equally, if not more important component in losing weight. Trying to eat healthy and fuel your workout with good whole grain carbs and lean proteins.
Also, it is good to eat some protein within 30 minutes of your workout to help your muscles repair themselves. I usually have a protein shake and a banana post workout.
Good luck to ya! Keep us updated on your progress! :D
ladybugsy
STARTING OUT

Post by ladybugsy »

Thanks. I appreciate your help...
Mabel
STARTING OUT

Post by Mabel »

I too suggest you swinging to lose weight. I strongly recommend this exercise because one of the uncle reduced 50lbs only by swinging + healthy diet.
jacal1
STARTING OUT

Post by jacal1 »

You could alternate swimming with other exercises in the pool, like water aerobics, water walking, and even dance. The natural resistance of the water will help your core, and it will be a nice break from doing laps!

site: Fitness and Home Remedies