How can I fit the gym into my normal fitness routine

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

kitson
STARTING OUT

How can I fit the gym into my normal fitness routine

Post by kitson »

I am going for energy and stamina somewhat the look and to lose weight. I am thinking I can do my push ups, sit ups, stomach crunches, martial arts every other day and the gym the days im not doing that. Monday home routine Tuesday gym Wednesday home routine thursday gym etc.
If you know a better way let me know?
What machines should I be using at the gym?
How do the professionals handle this?
zenphitness
STARTING OUT

Re: How can I fit the gym into my normal fitness routine

Post by zenphitness »

Here is a work out that you can try out made by my personal trainer: http://www.zenphitness.com/articles/art ... 162894.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, a few things to remember:

- good job on mixing it up, that is the most important thing to get good results. You should keep that in mind when doing your gym 'routine', don't do the same things every time.

-circuits. set up 3 or 4 different exercises, whether they are machines or free weights, and do them with little or no rest in between each exercise. I would recommend cycling through 3-4 sets of each, 15-30 seconds of rest in between sets, 8-15 reps for each set. Then do it again with 3-4 more different exercises. Altogether you should not be working out like this for more than 45 min - an hour, especially if you are trying to shed fat. If you have any questions on the reasons for any of these things, or the science behind them, or just more information you can look at my site, or email me.

http://www.zenphitness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fitnessexpert@zenphitness.com
kitson
STARTING OUT

Post by kitson »

Thanks for your reply.
I'll think about your idea.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Martial arts – what kind? That most likely is cardio for you.
Have you consider doing weights? If you want stamina, Plyometric Exercises or (mentioned above) circuit training will help.
See link below for some plyometric workout. Good luck :)
http://www.plyometrictrainingexercises.com
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

When you're mixing up training to increase your overall fitness, taking rest days and getting enough sleep is important too, and will factor into your results.

When I did Muay Thai fight camps we trained 5 days per week (2-3 hours per night), and did cardio every morning. The most important thing was having at least 1 day per week where I did not do anything, so I could rest and heal from the week of training; and also sleeping at least 8 hours every night. Your body releases human growth hormone while you sleep, which helps with your body's "repairs" after physical training.