Running Or Cycling?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Jazmine_009
STARTING OUT

Running Or Cycling?

Post by Jazmine_009 »

Hello
I'm interested in toning up, but loosing body weight isn't main focus, and I used to exercise a lot before, I wanted to get back into it and I just wanted to ask, would running, for example 30 minutes a day, at about 9km/per hour be better for toning legs or cycling?
Also, i have heard some concerning and very annoying things that friends have told me, for example, Both can damage knees, or reduce breast size or result in loose skin. ?
Just wanted some advise :)
Thank you!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Running Or Cycling?

Post by Boss Man »

Loose skin can occur from rapid weight loss.

Breast size will go down with Fat Burning, as Fat is stored around the mammory area.

As for Knee Damage, poor technique on Cardio could do it, as could pounding the streets for hours a day, but if you were choosing a route that included plenty of park, grassland areas or soft sand, the impact from outdoor running should be considerably reduced; the impact of soft sand versus hard wet sand should be better.

You can get something from running Chondromalacia Patellae, A.K.A. Housemaids Knee, Secretaries Knee, Runners Knee and Patellofemoral Syndrome. It causes degredation of the Cartilage; Chondro comes from ancient greek meaning Cartilage, Malacia means softening or degredation.

You then can get sliding of the Cartilage to the lateral, (outer), side of the knee, with an accompanying kind of grating sound.

This could be reversed by strengthening exercises for the surrounding areas and reduction of the impact causing it, or cutting out the exercise that causes it for a few days.

Running shoe types should be a prime consideration depending on your action. Neutral, Pronated, (Ankle rolls inwards), or Supinated, (ankle rolls outwards), but the impact on the Knees should be slim, but something with good padding on the inside and a fairly thick sole might help; the main issues from running can include Shin splits caused by Heel striking and also Plantar Fasciitis, which is inflammation of the Plantar, the fiberous strip roughly between the Calcaneous bone in the Heel and the ball of the foot, but such things can be avoided or eased by use of orthotics.

Plantar is also caused by a tight Achillies and weight problems.

This issue should not occur with cycling hopefully, but obviously care should be taken to use a bike that provides a comfortable sit

What you're planning though should be fine :).

Good luck and anything else you need or anything you'd like to say to others, don't hesitate to contribute :).
Ashleygibbs
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashleygibbs »

I am totally agree with Boss Man thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.
absperfection
STARTING OUT

Post by absperfection »

same here, totally agree with boss man

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get the tips to having perfect abs, visit http://absperfection.com
GMohawk
STARTING OUT

Post by GMohawk »

I would go with running. Running is more effective for me and it helps a lot to run on soft surfaces like grass as oppose to concrete. When I run I usually do it at a park or on the treadmill, I try to stay away from running on side walks or in the street.
darcygooding
STARTING OUT

Post by darcygooding »

Wow great response boss man! That's good to know.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

How about alternating that way you have less chance of hitting a plateau. I would also recommend a high intensity format. Warm-up for 5 minutes then alternate fast and slow intervals for 20 minutes. You will tone significantly faster, and the workouts are shorter.

Best,

Personal Trainer Los Angeles - Hollywood
Jentry07
STARTING OUT

Post by Jentry07 »

Great response Boss Man! Very informative!!!

I would suggest if you are looking to tone up to be sure to include a strength training exercises into your exercise regimen, at least 3 days a week! Doing squats, lunges, and plyometric exercises will help you to tone up your legs! If you are worried about knee injury, I've heard ellipticals are less intense on the knees than treadmills!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Exercise bikes channel upper body weight from the lower body, so thereby greatly reducing loadbearing on the legs. If the individual is a bit uncomfortable or a bit unbalanced on a normal exercise bike, a recumbent one is better as it has lumbar support.