Need help losing the last few pounds!

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Raggie92
STARTING OUT

Need help losing the last few pounds!

Post by Raggie92 »

I'm a 19 year old student and started exercising intensely 3 months ago. I found the weight to go quite quickly, I went from 59kg to 57kg in 3 months however now I have found myself in a bit of a plateau stage and the weight does not want to shift anymore. I did go through a bit of a stage where I found myself giving into cravings for about 2 weeks due to stress at work ect. I have no come to the point where I want to seriously continue to loose the weight to gradually get to 54kg in about 3 months time if that is doable?

Any help from anyone would be great as i'm starting to get annoyed by the lack of weight I seem to be loosing. diet is now back on track and so is exercise however I was still exercising with the time when diet went a bit downhill although I can admit that the effort I put in was a bit of a mediocre attempt as it felt like I was just going through the motions.

Also it would be very helpful if you have any suggestions of new exercises which I can do as right now I am focusing on cardio, treadmill, elliptical, bike ect aswell as some toning exercises so anything new would be welcome with open arms.

Thanks!
paclarsheltex
STARTING OUT

Re: Need help losing the last few pounds!

Post by paclarsheltex »

Determine your best exercise to lose weight. I'll give you this link for you to wshow the number of minutes of activity required to burn 3500 calories for over 120 different activities. Armed with this information you can lose 5 pounds, lose 10 pounds, lose 20 pounds or more.
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/lop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Raggie92,

As you get smaller your caloric requirement becomes less so you may need to cut back further to continue the weight loss. Keep a food journal, start at about 22 calories per kilo of body weight, try a breakdown of 30% protein, 30% healthy fats, and 40% carbohydrates (vegetables, fruit, legumes, whole grains) in that order. Also, if your workouts haven't changes in a while you will plateau. You need to keep it fresh by changing your workouts regularly and by increasing the intensity. Think shorter harder...much harder.
Best,
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTintin
STARTING OUT

Post by MTintin »

Kickboxing exercises are also very effective for weight loss.
Maybe they could help you as well....
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Tallgirll22T »

You could try doing a different routine every week. If you do total body now, maybe try doing 2 upper body days--abs, arms, back shoulders, and 2 leg days--glutes, quads, calves, hamstrings. Or if you already do split days, switch the days you do weights and cardio, or do total body circuits. I recently tried incorporating 100 rep sets to be done once every 2 weeks. It is supposed to help bust out of a rut. So long as you keep your eating on track, that may help too.

I'm having trouble losing last few pounds as well. I have found that nutrition plays a big role for me. I went one week where I ate a much higher healthy fat diet with frequent small meals and got off a solid 3 pounds from plateau weight. Then schedule changed and things got hectic at work and pretty soon I was back to going 6 or more hours without eating. Just keep your diet consistent and eat frequent small meals so your stomach doesn't stretch out and get bloated. Most importantly, you need to feed yourself to build muscle and have the energy to do stuff. I tend to think that if I am craving a glass of milk, or chocolate milk, or yogurt, or a handful of nuts, I should probably eat it even if I have already had some that day. When I work out hard, I am much hungrier. I'm not saying gorge yourself on junk, just don't deprive yourself either, because that goes hand in hand with overtraining and can lead to burn out and failure.