Safety during intense exercise with heavy loads

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

Bottleman
STARTING OUT

Safety during intense exercise with heavy loads

Post by Bottleman »

Hi, I am new here. I would like to ask about how I can ensure physical safety when I enlist in the military, which is in about 1 and 1/2 years. I had a chat with several friends who have enlisted/are inside/have already come out and these are the things I am most concerned about:

-Long marches while carrying over 60 kilograms worth of equipment (20++ kg in rucksack, 20 kg missile, 2 kg helmet, in addition to boots, combat vest, 4 kg rifle and other things) during fast marches (14km/h) and long marches (24 km).
-Running at least 2 km every day in under 10 minutes
-How to sustain myself with regular sleep deprivation. I.e we will get 6 hours of sleep or less (there will be middle of the night wake up calls that we will be punished for whether we do or don't answer).
-Continuous pushing during these activities, to failure and beyond, forcibly made to exert body to the point that bad form becomes common

I also understand that there is a culture of 'torture' in which the sergeants are known to lie to recruits about how much exercise is required of them, and then make them re-start from the beginning, effectively making them do double or triple the initial amount because they want to break them mentally and physically, or when the recruits look comfortable with the exercise. As such, I assume must be able to do excess of what is listed above to be safe.

Firstly, what kind of training do I need to do to safeguard my joints and spine? I have read up about squats and other lifting exercises that involve heavy loads and it seems that the joints and spine are the areas of the body most at risk when carrying out these exercises. Also, I have known several people who have sustained permanent injuries in the knees and spinal areas as a result of their physical training in the army. I weigh about 60 kilograms right now, and am deeply concerned with how I am going to manage with these extremely heavy loads and high intensity cardio on a regular basis. Currently, I can barely cope with running at 14 km/h without any weight on my back at all. I tried walking at 3 kmph with 20 kg in my pack a few days ago, I could barely lift it off of the ground (barely avoided twisting my back too) and my back went numb after ten minutes. I assume strengthening back muscles and core are crucial to preventing serious injury, but how do I go about doing this, and at what pace should I increase the weight while maintaining personal safety?

Secondly, how do I train myself towards being able to perform the aforementioned activities on a regular basis? I know what it's like to push hard when exercising, and don't think that that will be constructive to my body as it will impair my ability to exercise in the long run (there have been times at which I have been literally too weak to move the next day despite knowing that I must get back into the gym to work harder). At what pace must I shoot for such that I do not injure my body while training myself to sufficient capacity to carry out the above activities, will not cause myself such exceeding pain and exhaustion that I become unable to continue, and yet still be able to achieve the goal of carrying out the aforementioned activities on a daily basis?

Thank you in advance.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Safety during intense exercise with heavy loads

Post by Boss Man »

Safety when weight training, involves not doing exercises involving overloading the weight, to a point where you significantly compromise technique.

It also involves not doing unnatural movements, like behind the neck exercises and movements that might cause long-term stress, to small areas of the body, like wrist curls for example.

It also requires basic rememberance of technique. I.E. not rotating on shrugs, not bending over and hunching the shoulders on pressdowns, not leaning back a lot on bicep exercises and cable based back exercises etc.

It also requires remembering what to do as well, os basically just focusing on stuff properly :wink: