Do More Pullups?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jcoddington
STARTING OUT

Do More Pullups?

Post by jcoddington »

Hello! I'd like to be able to do 20+ overhand pullups in one set. Any advice on how to get there from a baseline of 7-8?

I'm especially interested in hearing from someone who can speak about the debate on maximum effort sets, aka going to muscle failure. Is this the best way to build strength/endurance?

I look forward to hearing back from someone.
JamesVillepigue
STARTING OUT

Re: Do More Pullups?

Post by JamesVillepigue »

Hi there. Pullups are hard for most people, and that's why they're awesome to conquer and overcome. Here are suggestions.

Are you aware of what a jump-pullup is? I'll give you a basic run down really quick:

Stand under the bar, jump up with your legs, pull yourself up as high as you can go, or are comfortable with, and then let go. Don't eccentrically lower yourself down, just drop. I typically have clients do tons of these. They're technically a full body workout, but here is the key - you'll be able to do more than 7-8, and over the course of a few sets will experience far more time under tension.

If you're a typical guy, just try 20 of them non-stop. Jump, pullup, drop down, jump...over and over.

In time you'll find that regular pullups become far less challenging, and, as a bonus, you'll work your whole body and burn tons of calories in the process!

Cheers,

James Villepigue
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The one thing to remember with pull-ups as well is, always infront of the face, not behind the neck. Behind the neck movements are unnatural and may cause connectve tissue problems, from weeks / months of regular execution.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

The more strict you are about form, the faster you will progress. If you start swinging or recruiting power from other places, your lats won't be built up the same way, and that's what you need, so don't look for shortcuts, just take the breaks you need and do them strict until you get stronger and can do more.

Try to do 3 sets of 10 as part of your warm up whenever you train. Take breaks when you need to during the set, but keep the form strict. You'll have to rest less and less, and then when you can do all 3 sets unbroken, you can start putting the sets together and practicing for a max effort. It will happen faster than you think, good luck!
watkinsc
STARTING OUT

Post by watkinsc »

With most exercises it is a case of training them and being patient. Keep good form. Also try weighted pullups to increase stregth or negative pull ups where you jump to the top and the slowly let yourself down.

Do underhand ones as well to avoid muscular imbalance and do some bent over rows/bicep curls.

Finally - go do some rock climbing, it is something that I love doing and will help your strength no end!
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Negative resistance was first developed by the instructors at West Point to help cadets with pull ups. The concern was to get a large number of cadets to do pull ups when many of them could not even do a single one. So they started with "negatives". The cadet would stand on a platform that allowed him to be at the apex of the pull up. Then he would lower himself slowly. And then he would repeat.

Eventually the cadets would be able to do regular pull ups, and the negative pull ups would be eliminated.

I would try to do three sets of 10 reps on the pull ups. Substituting negatives for the ones you are not able to complete in the conventional manner.

Keep in mind that any excess weight that you carry will make pull ups more difficult--so weight control is important.

If you have access to a cable pull down system that would be a viable alternative.
sajidtoor
STARTING OUT

Post by sajidtoor »

you don't look for shortcuts, just take the breaks you need and do them strict until you get stronger and can do more.
stellamandy96
STARTING OUT

Post by stellamandy96 »

In general, I prefer doing exercises to strengthen physical fitness, and moreover, I follow sallysymonds “Love Your Weight Loss” program. Furthermore, I feel it is the perfect solution if you’re sick and tired of following the same old rehashed weight loss techniques where the only loss has been your money and your dignity.