Beginning workout(er?) need some help building a workout

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Drame22
STARTING OUT

Beginning workout(er?) need some help building a workout

Post by Drame22 »

Hello all,

I just joined this forum for some help with exercise. I've worked out before, but I never really liked paying gym dues and working out in public. I'd much rather work at home, and that's the main reason I joined this website.

Basically, I need help creating a weekly workout plan. People have told me that it's best if you work out for a day, then rest, then repeat, so by weekly I mean work or rest every day. I'm committed enough to do it, but the problem is, aside from some basic knowledge, I know next to nothing about working out, or how a specific workout helps a specific muscle. I know curling for instance, builds bicep muscles. Couldn't point biceps out, but I can feel the burn!

If anyone has any advice, or better yet, a full-blown workout roster, it would be greatly appreciated. Another note; I'm a poor, poor college student. I could donate maayyyybe $100 to getting equipment for home. So far, I'm thinking a set of used dumbbells, a door-frame pull up bar, and a jump rope. According to other sites, these three things(plus a chair for dips) can workout every muscle group there is, all without having to leave the house. Is this true?

Also any nutritional advice would be great. I'm not about to give up burgers and fries, but I make them myself, so they can't be too terrible for me. I make sure to use olive oil sparingly instead of canola, and I generally bake the potatoes rather than fry them. Any other tips? As you can see, next-to-nothing is a perfect phrase to describe knowledge of this!

Thanks all,
Drame22
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Beginning workout(er?) need some help building a workout

Post by Boss Man »

This is one I give to people involving just bodyweight.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps.

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps.

Good Mornings, 2 sets 10 reps.

Vertical Flyes, 2 sets 10 reps.

Bent over Rows, 2 sets 10 reps.

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps.

Planks, 45-60 seconds.

Do this 3 times a week, every other day.

As for diet, what food choices do you have and what times do you have them?
Drame22
STARTING OUT

Post by Drame22 »

Well, I buy own food, so whatever happens to look good. Might have some pesto pasta one night for dinner, or a porkchop and taters. Really I'm just curious about what foods are good, which are neutral, and which to avoid like the plague.

As to the set you posted, is that once a day?

Cheers,
Drame22
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Protein sources.

Skinless Chicken, Lean Pork, Lamb, Trimmed Steak, Lean Ham, Turkey, Egg Whites, Lean Mince, Beef.

Carb Sources

Whole-grain Cereal and Bread, Fruits, Veggies, Pasta

Fat sources

Oils, Seeds, most Nuts.

Mixed Sources, I.E. more than one Macronutrient.

Soy products, (Soybeans, Tofu, Nattokinase, Edemame, Miso), Avocado, Cashews, Mushrooms, Rice, Lentils, Peas, Beans, Peanuts, Low Fat Cheese, Low Sugar Pro-biotic Yoghurt, Fish.

Basically eat 6 small meals a day, and try to get a good amount of Protein, Carbs, and some Fat per meal.

The other things to bear in mind, is keep portions of Pasta and Rice limited, as they are very high Glycemic, but are nutritious as well, an also limit Fish, because of the Mercury.

As for the workout yes once a day, 3 times a week every other day.