Good routine or bust?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Drame22
STARTING OUT

Good routine or bust?

Post by Drame22 »

Hello all,

I've been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks to try and come up with a home workout routine that required little or no equipment. I've found a lot of conflicting theories and reports from various forums and I just wanted to post what I have so far, see if you can find anything that could be improved.

I'm 6ft even, 220 pounds, . goal is fat loss and muscle building. Basically, I'm trying to slim down and increase endurance, especially cardio. I've been pretty sloth-like whole life, aside from the occasional bout at the gym in school.

I've heard a lot about jump ropes, and one is in the mail as I type. According to several sources, jumping rope is actually a better workout than just regular jogging. Any truth to this?

I've also found a ton of stuff on kettlebells, and how they can be used as a full-body workout. Coupled with the basics like pull-ups, push-ups, and crunches, I believe it's a solid workout. That being said, I've never created own workout before(albeit a successful one), so any advice is welcome.

I'm looking to spend as little money as possible. I haven't picked up kettlebells yet(I'm waiting to see if someone here disproves their use), but I have a large backyard patio to work on, a pull up bar mounted outside, and the aforementioned jump rope. I also live in a hilly area, so running is easy, and I have a large staircase maybe a block or two from house for stair workouts.

Any thoughts?

Cheers all,
Drame22
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Good routine or bust?

Post by Boss Man »

Skipping will utilise more fast twitch muscle fibre than jogging, which utilises more slow twitch muscle fibre, but as for burning more calories, although I can't say I've seen any, there might be peer reviewed science to support your assertion, but it wouldn't be massively successful for stamina building, because you would fatigue quickly more than likely.

I speak from experience on that one :wink:.

Kettlebells are good supposedly, as I've heard good reviews about using them. The only slight criticism is the possible inflexibility versus free weight, as you can do certain exercises you cannot do with free weight, but then applies to free weight cersus kettlebells, but in comparison, I believe kettlebells might not have quite the variety of moves that free weight provide, but nevertheless you should not underestimate the value and potential efficacy of kettlebells.
Drame22
STARTING OUT

Post by Drame22 »

What if I combined in running as well?

How many reps of this stuff should I be doing a day? I'd like to work a little every day instead of pushing myself far one or two days.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

'm not a big follower of kettlebell stuff, but try for 10 reps a set and yes cardio a couple of days a week is fine, as long as you're allowing for 2 non-training days kept apart from each other for good recovery.