Slimming down short legs

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

changingjoy
STARTING OUT

Slimming down short legs

Post by changingjoy »

Hi,

I am 5'3 and 120 lbs with a petite stature. Most of fat goes to legs. Being petite and having stubby legs has always been an insecurity of mine. I am fairly sedentary but would like to start working out with the right exercise plan. Although I would like to have a more toned and thinner overall self, main goal is to have thinner legs. I have bulky calves and average thighs that have a lot of cellulite. I already eat very healthily, but weight has plateau'd.

What are the best exercises to slim down legs? I want to avoid have bulky large muscles.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Re: Slimming down short legs

Post by Nokie173 »

A lot of friends like to jog or run to keep their legs nice. I like to do intervals so I can burn more calories all over in a short period of time :mrgreen:
Here are some workouts you can do at home...
1. LUNGES
2. WIDE SQUAT
3. OUTER THIGH LIFTS
4. INNER THIGH LIFTS
5. CALF RAISES
See the link below for directions... Good Luck! :mrgreen:
http://www.superskinnyme.com/5-exercise ... egs.html/6
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This is another option you can use at home, which can be done 3x a week every other day.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You don't need any weights for this, but if you wanted to you could use a couple of big books around equal size and weight on most of the exercises and a couple of small ones of around equal size and weight on the shrugs with no added weight on the planks.

As for gaining muscle, don't be afraid of muscle, as mucle building effects are good for connective tissue strength and bone density as well and 1lb of added muscle burns an extra 45-50 calories a day and having more muscle and bone density in your elder years would help to potentially give you a more active and more pain free life :).
amyfit88
STARTING OUT

Post by amyfit88 »

New to the board but agree with Bossman. Light weight or body weight exercises can go a long way for people looking for a leaner and less bulky look. As a past Women's hockey player we used to perform less reps and more weight during our strength training sessions. I notice legs got much bigger and wasn't a huge fan of the results once I retired from the sport.

I now perform lots of body weight exercises to stay tone but to avoid getting bigger and bulkier. Some good exercises that are simple and easy to do at home are:

Jumping Jacks, mountain climbers, squats, lunges, wall sits, calf raises, shoulder circles, back extensions and more. These can get boring so I enjoy spicing up workout by going outside near a lake or park to get the setting right. (outdoor workouts are great!)

I also invested in a lateral slide trainer. It's been fun so far and I've enjoyed the coordination and balance it requires during workout. I used this workout for legs the other day: https://www.slide-board.com/long-lean-legs-workout/
Slide boards are rare so you can sub in jumping jacks or lateral jumps if you don't own a frictionless board.

2 cents