How can I get slender rather than bulky legs?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ash93
STARTING OUT

How can I get slender rather than bulky legs?

Post by ash93 »

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if any of you gurus out there had any tips on how to achieve slender rather than bulky legs?

I'm 177cm tall, so legs are long - but they're the bulkiest part of body, even when I'm very slim up top (arms, stomach, etc.).

What sports/ exercises could you recommend to get legs as slim as possible?

Thank you!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How can I get slender rather than bulky legs?

Post by Boss Man »

Well what I would tell you is not to be afraid of muscle, as muscle helps to burn fat and muscle building exercises help to strengthen the connective tissues and also improve bone density, which will be a boon in your elder years.

What you could focus on is how you diet affects your fat levels right now.

One simple way would be if you were consuming 5-6 meals a day, to change the ratio of carbohydrate and fat, by dropping 10g carbs from each meal and replacing the calories with healthy fat.

This means you don't drop your calories, which might jeopardise your muscle mass a bit, but it will mean your body could potentially end up with an energy deficeit which some fat could supply, thereby aloowing you to potentially reduce subcutaneous fat levels and possibly a bit of arterial and viscerol fat as well.
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

Good advice from Boss Man.When you say bulky are you talking about muscle mass or excess fat. If its muscle then doing more reps with less weight should help. Do compound functional movements like lunges, squats, step-ups rather than single joint movements like leg extensions and leg curls. For cardio try running for distance rather than cycling or stair stepping. Swimming is also great for toning. Remember that genetics have a great deal to do with where you deposit fat and how much lean body mass you put on. Two people doing the same diet and exercises won't always get the same results.
Best,

Personal Trainer Los Angeles & Hollywood
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ash93
STARTING OUT

Post by ash93 »

Thanks so much for the replies, appreciate it!

I'll definitely give the diet changes a try and with regards to whether it's muscle mass or excess fat - at the moment (since I've recently put on a lot of weight) it's also a lot of excess fat, but even when I'm down to a normal healthy weight, upper body is very lean and legs, although they're not fat, are very stocky/bulky. It's actually really frustrating!

Thanks again though, I'll give it all a go!
Rickinator
STARTING OUT

Post by Rickinator »

Running for long distances. That's the best way I know how to lean out a muscle...see runners.
ash93
STARTING OUT

Post by ash93 »

Okay so with long distance running, how far would you recommend as like the minimum (just for time and the fact that I'm not too fit at the moment) and how often, say per week?
Sorry, complete amateur over here haha

Thanks!
Rickinator
STARTING OUT

Post by Rickinator »

I used to run a mile a day 4 days a week. If your just starting out... jog/walk or run/jog till you build up to it.Then keep your pace pretty swift. Youll have some lean legs..( the farther you decide to run the leaner and less bulky your legs will be)
amyfit88
STARTING OUT

Post by amyfit88 »

I used to have bigger legs/stronger legs due to playing hockey as a collegiate athlete. I believe it was the strength training program we were on that enlarged legs, as we performed lower reps (5-8) at a higher weight load. I would recommend body weight exercises to keep a lean and longer look whether it's lunges, jumps, air squats or jumping jacks. Keep the heart pumping with by moving exercise to exercise without much rest.

I've been working with a new style of training (body-weight) and it's been great. Love the fact that body can challenge every muscle group without over doing it. I also would recommend spicing up your workouts with a swim or cycling session (Outdoors is always better!). I've also enjoyed using a slide board to make things more interesting. It's a frictionless workout device that works on coordination and balance, all while allowing me to perform multiple types of exercises and get creative.

I found this long, lean, leg workout - http://www.slide-board.com/lower-body-training/ that hits some of the major spots in your legs while keeping the workout short. If you don't have a slide board available just substitute jumping jacks or lateral jumps in place of the lateral slides.

2 cents
ash93
STARTING OUT

Post by ash93 »

Thanks again for the replies! I'll check out the slide board, sounds like it could almost make exercise fun? haha and I love swimming so that's another good idea!
I've been busy with exams and such but I plan on putting all of this into action on the holidays - will check back in with the (hopefully good) results!
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

amyfit88 wrote:I used to have bigger legs/stronger legs due to playing hockey as a collegiate athlete. I believe it was the strength training program we were on that enlarged legs, as we performed lower reps (5-8) at a higher weight load. I would recommend body weight exercises to keep a lean and longer look whether it's lunges, jumps, air squats or jumping jacks. Keep the heart pumping with by moving exercise to exercise without much rest.

I've been working with a new style of training (body-weight) and it's been great. Love the fact that body can challenge every muscle group without over doing it. I also would recommend spicing up your workouts with a swim or cycling session (Outdoors is always better!). I've also enjoyed using a slide board to make things more interesting. It's a frictionless workout device that works on coordination and balance, all while allowing me to perform multiple types of exercises and get creative.

I found this long, lean, leg workout - http://www.slide-board.com/lower-body-training/ that hits some of the major spots in your legs while keeping the workout short. If you don't have a slide board available just substitute jumping jacks or lateral jumps in place of the lateral slides.

2 cents
I've seen woman using the slide board at gym. Looks fun!