Hi Everyone I just Joined

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

darmitage
STARTING OUT

Hi Everyone I just Joined

Post by darmitage »

hi everyone but I speed walk for 1 hour a day 5 days a week but I really like Stationary bike but I have been told I have mild Osteo Artheritis in right knee so every time I put any amount of resistance on the bike I get pain afterwards seems like I have less problems walking but I love the bike does anyone have this problem or know anything about this they say the bike is low impact but is it when you have a medium resistance on? love to hear some views
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Hi Everyone I just Joined

Post by Boss Man »

Have you tried the recumbent bike?

Also have you looked into potential knee supplements like chondroitin, MSM or cartazyne?
darmitage
STARTING OUT

Post by darmitage »

I found recumbent bike not the same at all but today I tried the Elliptical Trainer today but only did it for 10 minutes 1st time so after a few times of doing Elliptical Trainer I should know if it affects the knees but you don,t seem to bend the knee as much as on a bike
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

One thing to consider on the bike is the seat height. If the seat is too low it can put an extra strain on the knee since the leg cannot fully extend. Make sure when you are seated on the bike that on the down stroke your leg has only a slight bend at the knee and on the upstroke, your knee is lower than your hips. That way when you add resistance you will be using your quad muscle more to push down to make the down stroke, rather than trying to turn the cycle with pushing forward or up which really strains the knee.

Example:

Hope this helps! :D
darmitage
STARTING OUT

Post by darmitage »

I'm having a problem also with tight tibia muscles from walking and I was wondering if Eliptical Machine puts stress on your lower leg or shin muscles does anyone happen to know with resistance? I would appreciate someone telling me if they know
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It's a possibility, but it could also be related to the setting.

The easiest way would be to use one and just see what happens after 60-120 seconds. You might find if it does cause stress you'll feel it sooner than that, but then again you might find that if it does happen, it happens when there is a higher degree of programmed difficulty in the machine.

I would say it's a suck it and see scenario, as I don't use them so I cannot speak from experience.
darmitage
STARTING OUT

Post by darmitage »

maybe stationary bike would be better for tight tibia muscle problems than a elliptical machine
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Exercises bike could be the better option as you're not load bearing on the legs, because most of the upper body weight should get channeled into the seat or saddle.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

darmitage wrote:maybe stationary bike would be better for tight tibia muscle problems than a elliptical machine
tight tibia muscles could be the beginnings of shin splints. Whether you are on the elliptical or bike, be sure to warm up first with 5 minutes or so of easy spinning before going to the higher resistance. Muscles need to be warmed up before being stressed. Also very important to cool down 5 minutes after workout with easy spinning or elliptical work and stretch the legs muscles, including the shin muscles afterwards. Lots of videos on stretches for calves, quads, shin muscles. All of the muscles are tied together as far as stretching goes. Tight quads can cause lower leg problems, tight calves can cause foot problems, etc.
Hope this helps! :D