Eliptical Machine Question

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

darmitage
STARTING OUT

Eliptical Machine Question

Post by darmitage »

does anyone actually know what Eliptical Machine does for you such as what muscles it aims at? I need to strengthen quads or manybe bike is better not sure
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Eliptical Machine Question

Post by Boss Man »

Improving the quads would be better served with things like squat variations and front and side lunges.

The eliptical like most machines, should be viewed as mostly for aerobic not anaerobic purposes only, as you won't get any serious targeting of muscles in honest opinion; well not any kind of stimulus that would help to promote tangible strength gains at any rate.

If you going to do any cardio straight after a weights workout involving the legs, as opposed to cardio later in the day, or the day after, then choose something that causes no significant impact on the legs, like exercise bike work, or maybe rowing, as you'll stimulate the legs more doing any type of "vertical" cardio, where you're load bearing your upper body weight onto your lower body, which could just increase the amount of recovery time, by potentially sapping more energy reserves from the leg muscles and increasing fatigue, that "sit down" cardio would.
darmitage
STARTING OUT

Post by darmitage »

I'm getting hip pain from either stationary bike or elliptical machine and both machines I have the resistance at 12 and both machines goes up to 20 I also speed walk for 1 hour a day but can,t imagine that giving me hip pain I'm worried about this
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You should consult a professional like a kinesiologist or a sports science professional.