Riding my bike outisde

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

BeachBride
STARTING OUT

Riding my bike outisde

Post by BeachBride »

I live in a pretty hilly area and I have been riding my bike outside since the weather has been awesome. What does this "count" as? I'm assuming - cardio, however, I really get a good leg workout going up those hills. I can really feel it in my quads. How much is this working my legs and butt? Can it count for a day of doing legs?

Just wondering because I like riding my bike but I hate doing squats.... they are the hardest thing for me.
SarahPT
REGULAR

Post by SarahPT »

It's cardio. You may feel a burn in your legs but it is not working muscle fibers the way resistance training does.

Enjoy!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Squats are not the only exercise for Legs and Buttocks. Yes, they are a good all rounder, but if you've got another 5-10 minues spare, split them, or alternatively, change to Something like Hack Squats, or One Legged Hack Squats, that will hit Buttocks and Quads.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

oh bossman, don't stop people doing squats!!! if she's going deep they'll hit glutes and hams more than anything else could
BeachBride
STARTING OUT

Post by BeachBride »

yes, I go all the way down (thanks to my ex-marine fiance who taught me how)

...that's probably why I hate them so much, they suck!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

swanso5 wrote:oh bossman, don't stop people doing squats!!! if she's going deep they'll hit glutes and hams more than anything else could
True. I wasn't trying to sound like I was putting her off them, I thought she was getting bummed with them, and was looking for alternatives to do now and again.

Certainly Squats are not something I said to give up, just that there are other choices, for when Squats become too samey, or someone fancies a change for a while.
BeachBride
STARTING OUT

Post by BeachBride »

I am bummed with them but I will still do them on Saturdays... I'd like to find some alternatives to do on my other legs/bottom half day.

How about BB deadlifts, burpees? I work out at home and don't have the machnes to do alot of stuff. I just have hand weights. On the weekend, I am able to go to my fiance's gym with him but that's it.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

the only replacement for squats would be deadlifts for me...and to hit the **** more use a wide grip so you need to bend down further
Liquidmetal
STARTING OUT

Post by Liquidmetal »

Lunges baby lunges. One leg at a time. Get a nice right angel on step out and power back up. You want to go out side? Fine! Go to wally world and pick up a pair of 20lb dumbells (go heavier if you have the minerals for it). Go to your local track and lunge those babys all the way around one lap. Do that twice a week for a few weeks and your **** will look like a perfect peach ready to be picked! You'll have every man around saying one word as you pass by "Dammmmmmmmmmn!" Squat's are the core but lunges will shape that core into a fine figure.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

good post that
BeachBride
STARTING OUT

Post by BeachBride »

OK, you've convinced me, I'll add some serious lunges to the mix! I don't think I can handle 20 lb in each hand, but I'll try 15
Sportsman4920
STARTING OUT

Re: Riding my bike outisde

Post by Sportsman4920 »

BeachBride wrote:I live in a pretty hilly area and I have been riding my bike outside since the weather has been awesome. What does this "count" as? I'm assuming - cardio, however, I really get a good leg workout going up those hills. I can really feel it in my quads. How much is this working my legs and butt? Can it count for a day of doing legs?

Just wondering because I like riding my bike but I hate doing squats.... they are the hardest thing for me.
Mountain biking is definitly a great leg workout. I'm not sure what you mean by hilly, because there is a big difference between going up a 45 degree angle incline on a mountain and a 20 degree incline on a street. Biking on the 45 degree inclines will definitly add a significant amount of strength to your legs; the amount of size biking adds largely depends upon genetics. Also, it tends to add more size and strength to the calves than it does to the butt.