How Often Should I Work Out?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Lurenda1
STARTING OUT

How Often Should I Work Out?

Post by Lurenda1 »

Hello all! I would like to know how long and how often I should workout each week. I'm a 34yr old female I weigh about 130 & 5'4". I need a routine!! I generally try to go to the gym 3 times a week but I am a mother, full-time employee, and a student in the Masters program so I stay pretty busy. I am not over weight but I have noticed some "fatty" build up on abs and thighs. This is the first time I have ever had this issue and it just seems to NOT go away! I don't want to bulk up, just tone up. Also, if anyone has suggestions on number of reps as well as how many (i.e. 10 reps of 10 etc..) Suggestions?

P.S. I can't run because when I do I can't breathe I do try to walk for 20 min prior to actual workout.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How Often Should I Work Out?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Lurenda good to talk to you.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

In relation to what to use, go for the second smallest barbell on the squats and deadlifts and the smallest on bent over rows.

Use the second smallest dumbbells on bench press and lunges and the smallest ones on shrugs.

Then every 2 weeks increase the weight a little bit and then after around 6 weeks, you'll be ready to lift close to max lifting for reps, bearing in mind you don't need to do failure training, as it's not necessary and wastes more energy.