Oblique sit ups not really working

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Caters
STARTING OUT

Oblique sit ups not really working

Post by Caters »

I tried to exercise obliques by doing oblique sit ups a few days ago. I bent forward and put left elbow on right knee and then put right elbow on left knee.

However I did not notice anything in obliques. I felt the burn mainly in rectus abdominis.

For all 3 exercises I did because of how muscles were sore from the injury I took a few deep breaths after each set of 10 and was able to do 3 sets of 10 for each exercise without muscles getting all that sore.

I must not be doing something right because that was supposed to make me feel the burn in obliques.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Oblique sit ups not really working

Post by Boss Man »

You could try doing that move with a medicine ball or a small amount of disc weight and then twist left and then right before lowering down, afterwards repeating the movement for the desired number of reps.
Caters
STARTING OUT

Post by Caters »

I found out that it was because I bent forward and then twisted instead of twisting and then bending forward. When I twisted and bent forward I could feel obliques. It was much harder to do it but that is pretty much always the case when you exercise a new muscle.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well yes, these things take time sometimes and you don't always get it right first time.