Mixed feelings about squats?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Notgnilleks
STARTING OUT

Mixed feelings about squats?

Post by Notgnilleks »

Hello!

I'm a new member here and I suppose this is a rather odd way of introducing myself, but I have a large concern regarding new work-out.
So, I've been wanting to start working out for a while, and now have the free-time to do so. This is great, and I have a lot of resources, but I'm not sure how to use them. ideally, I want to focus on getting a bigger bum (for a lack of better words) and flattening stomach.

So far, workout consists of:
-squats (no weights, but I do have 1, 5 and 10 lb hand weights that I can use).
-planks
-a 20 minute weight loss program on Nordictrack power ramp elliptical

So, first question is this: How do I use this routine to achieve goal? Should I change anything?

Secondly, in regards to the squats, I've read so many different things that I'm genuinely confused. Some sites say that any kind of squat can make your bum bigger, yet others say that you'll only tone it unless you incorporate weights. That's fine, as it's something I'm willing to do, but I don't know if it's what I need to do.
biggest concern about workout is that it'll actually make bum smaller rather than bigger and fuller. I'm not flat by any means, but have a hard time telling whether bum is currently more muscle than fat. If it's more fat, I'm assuming that bum will be momentarily smaller as I burn it off, but will start to grow as I put muscle on. However, this is just a guess. If it's mainly muscle, I assume that it will start to grow rather quickly. However, this is a concern of mine. I want a round, shapely bum that people will notice. Small toned ones are great, but that's not what I'm going for here.

If anyone has any helpful suggestions, please reply to topic! I'm super excited to start getting back into shape, and would like all of the help that I can get.
Samberry
STARTING OUT

Re: Mixed feelings about squats?

Post by Samberry »

There are three exercises that I think are a must in order to get a nice well rounded bum. Each of them work different parts of your glutes, so using all three combined work wonders. Make sure you include Jumping Jacks, Lunges and Squats in your regular workout.

Using weights will help you develop a better shape and more volume if that's what you want.

Hope this helps. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ng, good to talk to you.

Weighted squats will affect muscle composition in the glutes, but that depends on the amount you use, technique, calories consumed and how progressive it is I:E: increasing calories over time so that you can squat more.

However focusing mostly on that area is a flawed idea, as you would be better to focus more on the whole body.

Do you do weights for any other areas of the body?

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Notgnilleks
STARTING OUT

Post by Notgnilleks »

Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly!

I've decided to incorporate more things into workout to get results throughout body.

In response to your questions, BossMan, I currently don't use weights on other areas of body, although I'm not against the idea. The only thing that I would want to avoid is building up too much muscle in arms, as I already have quite a bit (and great upper body strength) and want to avoid the bodybuilder look. It's really just midsection and lower body that are unathletic. Additionally, I'm just now getting out of a very bad diet. I really don't watch what I eat and I'm very prone to over-eating. Luckily, I have a very good metabolism and usually active lifestyle that keeps me under 130lbs. Usually, I eat breakfast anywhere from 8-10; lunch at 12-2, and dinner around 7-9. If you have any suggestions regarding diety adjustments, I would love to hear them! I'm trying to get into healthier eating habits and any suggestions are welcomed.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well I would certainly incorporate weights into other aspects of your physiology rather than focusing solely on the glutes area.

You'd be wise to incorporate compound exercises that focus on multiple body parts like squats, lunges, bench press, cleans, dragon flags, wood choppers, bent over barbell rows, face pulls, deadlifts etc, but you could also includes some direct stuff as well.

I have a lifting regime that I post for other people if you want it, which could be tweaked in the future, to include some of the exercises I mentioned above that are not listed in it.

You've given me some meal times, but when I asked, I was also trying to ascertain what kinds of foods you eat at those times, so I can understand better whether you need to make no, small or wholesale changes to your diet.