Hello. Newbie here looking to start a workout routine.

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jman8310
STARTING OUT

Hello. Newbie here looking to start a workout routine.

Post by jman8310 »

Hi all. name's Justin. I'm looking to get back into exercise. I've been very up and down over the years with weight. I stand 5'7" tall and have weighed 230lbs at worst, then cut down to 145lbs, and now I'm at a respectful (well-carried) 218lbs at the moment. I am 27 years old and asking for some advice as to the fastest way to get back into shape. I used cave man training when I cut down to 145lbs and it was intense, but I was younger then and didn't have to work for that period of time. Thank you for any advice!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Hello. Newbie here looking to start a workout routine.

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Justin good to talk to you.

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
jman8310
STARTING OUT

Post by jman8310 »

I eat a lot. I'm on a see-food diet where I see food and I eat it. Usually microwaved stuff from the freezer due to lack of time. Currently, I'm awaiting orientation at new job this coming Saturday and have quit last job on good terms so I'm stuck at home all day usually. But I don't eat nearly as much when I'm off work. Drink a lot of beer too. But willing to change that.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well what does a typical days eating look like, as saying you eat microwaved stuff doesn't fill in much of the blanks.

Do you have fixed meal times and what sort of things do you eat when you do eat anything.
jman8310
STARTING OUT

Post by jman8310 »

I'll usually eat a frozen breakfast burrito or 2 in the morning. Then 2 hotpockets/stuffed hashbrowns around noon. Then for dinner maybe some heated up chicken patties on a bun.
jman8310
STARTING OUT

Post by jman8310 »

Mainly, I need a workout routine for a guy who hasn't worked out in 5 years that's quick, easy, and effective.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In terms of the eating and training, I've given this strategy to people before, so hopefully it should work for you.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

As for what you lift, go for the second smallest dumbbells on bench press, lunges and squats, the smallest dumbbells on shrugs and the smallest barbell on bent over rows and deadlifts

This is how your schedule could look per week

Day 1. Weights

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Weights

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Weights

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

We can makes some tweaks of course if needs be, as this system is not set in stone.
jman8310
STARTING OUT

Post by jman8310 »

Thanks a bunch bossman! I have just returned from the grocery store with a strictly budget-based set of groceries! I have purchased canned chicken and tuna, canned vegetables, miracle whip for the tuna, sliced peaches no sugar added, rice, and an onion. Like I said, very tight budget. Do you think this is at least one step above frozen pizzas daily?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Those sort of things are better than frozen pizzas for sure.