hang cleans

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i don;t go any where near the floor, i shift the hips back instead of bending the knees down...

like this, tip #67 but no pause:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... hletes&cr=
ahowardpro
STARTING OUT

Post by ahowardpro »

thats how i do them fro shoulders exactly like that............thats good form
ahowardpro
STARTING OUT

Post by ahowardpro »

Thats a good website actually thanks
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

I've always done power cleans off the ground.

Power cleans with a press for each rep is probably the single exercise I'd do if I only had time for one exercise. It trains nearly all your muscle groups in a very athletic fashion.

It also will get your pulse rate up very, very quickly.

An excellent exercise.

I don't know that I'd use the hanging cleans, however. It does not seem to work nearly as many muscle groups, and does not seem nearly as athletic.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it's a bit easier on the back as the ROM is smaller...great for athletes who have sore backs from their sport anyway...why risk them for the sake of 12"?
mzaruba423
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by mzaruba423 »

i dont know how anyone can power clean and press. i used to power clean over 200 lbs when i was 16, and there's no way i could shoulder press that. that's why a lot of people will hang clean and press: the weights easier to shoulder press with and you still get somewhat of a clean. plus hang cleans wear me out a bit more from having to hold onto the bar rather than drop it to the ground.
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Power clean and press does not require really heavy weight to be effective--just working with body weight will suffice. Three sets of 10 reps with body weight will give you a good general workout and get your pulse rate up pretty high too. I was not too strict on the press motion and I suspect that I might have a bit of "clean and jerk" on the later reps.

As for the back, there are two ways to stress the back: The first is by pulling up from the floor as a "tensile" stress.

The second is when you get to your clean position where it is in an "axial compressive" stress. A very tight lifting belt will protect against the axial compressive stress, but it needs to be tight enough that you will not be comfortable to bend over for the clean. It will also need to be tight enough that ventilating your lungs will be a real effort. So effectively you can use the belt for hanging cleans, but not for cleans off the floor.

As for those "12 inches" those are the inches that work your quads; without those "12 inches" this is strictly a back, shoulder and forearm exercise.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i meant the 12" btw cleaning from the floor or cleaning from thighs...
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

swanso5 wrote:i meant the 12" btw cleaning from the floor or cleaning from thighs...
Yes.

But from the floor to your thighs is primarily the labor of your quads and glutes. So eliminating those 12" will reduce the training effects on those muscles.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it will take out some glutes and hams, not quads i'd think but it's still ahip dominant movement if done properly from floor, mid shin, knee or mid thigh position...without hip drive you simply don;t get the wt up above your button