good core exercises

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musclelac
STARTING OUT

good core exercises

Post by musclelac »

What are some good exercises to strengthen the core????? I have a hard time burning the fat around waistline and lower back
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Planks are a good one, although diet is probably the most potent Fat Burner you can get. Most Abs exercises will contribute little to Midriff definition.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

prone ab braces
side ab braces
deadbugs
landmine twists
tornado ball twists
cable push / pulls
cable chops
prone to side braces
side hip thrusts
l sit
oh squats
heavy squats and deads
shoulder presses
sprints
musclelac
STARTING OUT

Post by musclelac »

I don't know half of those :P
swanso5 wrote:prone ab braces
side ab braces
deadbugs
landmine twists
tornado ball twists
cable push / pulls
cable chops
prone to side braces
side hip thrusts
l sit
oh squats
heavy squats and deads
shoulder presses
sprints
bmac_21
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by bmac_21 »

really bossman?

i've been hearing planks are crap. it'd be great if you could clear this up for me.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

whoever said that needs to be shot and they obviously don;t really know what they are used for
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Planks are good. Who's been saying they're crap, and why?
bmac_21
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by bmac_21 »

T-nation article states planks are fine as long as you are in about 1st grade. :P
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

poliquin says that yes but unless you can hold it, and i mean peffectly for at least 2mins, there is no other core exercise you should be doing...charles works with world class athletes so of course he'll think that as he'd never had to use them but for everyone else, these are the first port of call for core strength and lumbar stabilisation
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

With respect don't always trust 100% anything you read, even on sites like that.

I make it business if I'm going to read up on something, to try and make sure I check the sources, make sure the sources are indpendant, and not writing stuff that might be "massaged truth", and often avoid Wikipedia, as I don't trust it for medical / scientific info too much.

I mean at least if someone writes something about Michael Jordan, (for example), it's not the end of the world if someone posts a basket total, that's 1 or 2 baskets less in one season, than he actually got, but if someone posts mistakes like, (for example), Chitin is derived from Fish, and might cause allergic reactions to some people, the accidental use of the word Fish instead of Shellfish, might scare people off Fish, or cause unnecessary worry for some.

After all there are no definitive, 100% yes answers to the human body, it's just not that simple.

If it was that simple, everyone could just do stuff like 3 different exercises on a swiss ball, 100 rep Squats, live off Beef Sandwiches and Orange Juice, and have enough GH releases, to be ripped, 500lb, 10ft freakazoid monsters :shock:.

There's a twinge of sarcasm in there somewhere, but in all honesty the body is too complex, to be trained exactly the same, from one person to the next.

Same thing with Tom Venuto, and his Train on empty Fat theories.

I don't think that holds much merit, not least for burning muscle off, potentially causing inferior workouts, and dizzy spells, resulting from Low Bloodsugar, being potentially affected further by Bloodsugar lowering activity.

People don't need to do stuff, that may potentially negatively impact on their health and progress, just to try and progress a bit quicker, not when there's ways that will give you the right outcome. Training on empty is not vital for the very nature of healthy weight loss. It's a possible way, but not one I subscribe to, or believe is as healthy or worthwhile as Mr V may say.

Does that mean I think Venuto is a bad apple, who proliferates B.S. ideas?

No it doesn't. I respect the guy a lot, but training on empty is not something I agree with personally, for aforementioned reasons.

Plus the training efficiency reductions, and dizzy spells I eluded to, have been mentioned here before now, and were in conjuction with training a on empty methodology, none of the people stating or having been stated, as having these side effects, were stating or stated to have medical issues that might be contributary.

As a for instance about scepticism, think of this.

I posted many months ago something on a site, suggesting if someone ate Fruit, avoid Acid Fruit, as the Fruit Acids can lower the PH of the Stomach environment, and might inhibit Pepsin, (a Protein digesting Enzyme), from either being produced properly, or functioning properly.

I had one person giving me this "well it's not that I don't beleive you" speil, and started reminisicing about their A level Biology studies, (Advanced Level being one step below University standard in Britain), which seemed from observations of them, to be 20-25 years earlier. Then they posted a link to Wikipedia, about Pepsin Enzymes with a 3D diagram, which was flagged for lack of authentification by an expert.

I then posted 3 links to sites backing me up, one with a doctors name on it, (I even stated a doctors name isn't a 100% guarantee of informative authenticity), and all I got was, "a doctors name doesn't automatically mean it's right", (I had said that), and "well you can prove anything with enough websites."

Err that was the idea :roll:.

It felt like, what do you expect me to do, post 10 links, and 6 Doctors names or something? I was not going to spend 4 hours on the net trying to prove myself, to some seemingly partially close minded sceptics :roll:

Especially when you're up against people, who are vaguely remembering stuff they learned in the 80's, that by now maybe be partly or wholely proven inaccurate, and backing themselves up with un-authenticated wiki entries.

I don't know everything, who does, but sometimes ity's fruitless trying to make people understand things, they can't see, or don't want to.

So it's up to you to decide ultimately what you believe, even stuff written by people like Poliquin, Venuto etc etc.

Even well respected guys in the field, haven't trained or given diet advise to every type of person, regardless of body type, colour, or disability, and there's so much science out there, even if they choose to expand their understanding, beyond what a piece of paper says they know, they will never learn it all in a lifetime, and never be 100% knowledgeable about every single aspect of a bodies functions, just like anyone in the medical proffession won't.

They can sometimes be wrong. They're human, so are people on here, but we do what we think is best for the individual, as I'm in no doubt they do too :) .
L_Dub
STARTING OUT

Post by L_Dub »

If you want to strengthen the core, then do pilates and yoga.

I've seen many guys who bench and squat the world. But, when they get into the yoga or pilates studio. It's a completely different story.

Yoga and pilates works your stabilizing muscles in your core that other workouts don't.

Good luck.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

it's all relative...put those yoga and pilates goers under a 500pd bar and watch them die...

yoga isnlt great in book...it promotes flexibility which is great but static flexiblilty is useless and they also promote flexibility in the wrong areas of the body

pilates is good for beginners to learn how to use their core but you don't perform many of their positions in everyday life
L_Dub
STARTING OUT

Post by L_Dub »

And, when will you ever lift 500 lbs. in everyday life?

I wasn't metioning yoga and pilates in regards to flexibility. Although yoga and pilates are great exercises to improve flexibility.

Rather I was pertaining to yoga and pilates being great workouts to strengthen the abdominal core. Which it has proven to be.

And, since when was any type of flexibility considered useless? Just b/c you may not use it everyday life, it's considered useless?

So is benching 400 lbs., deadlifting 450 lbs., and squatting 500 lbs. (as you mentioned) useless too?
Tyler Hawke
STARTING OUT

Post by Tyler Hawke »

All of it is good. Everything mentioned isn't bad for you but rather what your goals are. Yoga and Pilates have been terrific for sketchy back and certainly in conjunction with weighless workout and dumbell workouts, it has all led to being in some of the best health of life as i soon turn 45. I also do once or twice a week HIIT training as well as try to run between 3 and 5 miles at least once a week (in conjunction with the HIIT).

And since you can't do it all at once. Pick the core exercises you want to do and work with them for 6 weeks, then change it up and work it for another 6 weeks and so on and so forth. Most folks here will tell you to change your regular workout that often as well - it keeps the muscles from getting used to certain moves.

It's easy to confuse yourself with lots of info (it happens to me more times than I care) but when you take a moment to simplify things, you'll put together a workout that will do your body good.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

no you don't oten lift 500pds but you do peform strength activities throughout the day so the more strength you have in reserve, the easier everyday tasks will be...yoga is flexibility training, not core training which is what i was refferring to...why soend 60mins doing nothing but core exercises which are boring as shit when you can do a free wt compound exercise for 10mins and get the same effect plus strength, mobility, dynamic flecxibility and condtioning all in one go?

if you're not gonna use it then why have it??? you have old clothes you don't wear, you throw them out...why is this different?