HEART RATE MONITORS

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

clare_1
HIGH FLYER

HEART RATE MONITORS

Post by clare_1 »

Just thought this may be of interest.

As we all know, i hope, when you work out on a cardio machine and it tells you how many cals you have burnt its rubbish. the machine could not possibly work that out.

Well what about the heart rate monitors on these machines, like the hand sensors? Think these are definitely accurate?? Think again.

Whenever I go on a cardio machine heart rate is always read inaccurately. For instance, a few weeks ago I was doing a fat burn workout on the stairmaster, which adds resistance if you are not reaching your target heart rate. Well the heart rate was reading at 87 yet i was working all out and could hardly move legs as the resistance was that high. I manually tested hr and it was actually 180.

This is a common occurance in any gym i go in. For most people the hr sensors do work but for prople like myself it gets misread. I cant remember the name for the cause of this but when your heart beats twice (like ba bum), the second beat is weaker then the first and the monitor doesnt pick it up.

So there you go.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Are you referring to a Water or Trip Hammer Pulse, where the Heartbeat is sort of too weak, that the blood pumping fails on that particular occasion?

Or you might be referring to Tachycardia, obviously where the Heart beats above 100 bpm?

Presumably it's not valve Stenosis, where the Valve doesn't work properly, "regurgitating" blood back into the previous chamber.

It's likely such sensors will fail, as I don't completely understand how they could register any Neuronal stimulus in the fingertips, as they would somehow how have to convert the electronic signals to a digital signal.

That might work for something like a Nerve Conduction Velocity device perhaps, but I wouldn't have thought it accurate, with just some kind of hand sensor on an exercise machine.

I would also potentially say the same about those strap on ones, as I don't completely understand how they can reportedly be accurate at all, because any digital readings, would have to be done with several different types, in the exact same conditions, over several weeks, and as I posted on thread about calorie monitors on exercise devices, I think most if not all points, could vbe applied ot heartrate monitors either machine based or strap on.
clare_1
HIGH FLYER

Post by clare_1 »

Its not trip hammer or anything like that. Its not a medical condition that needs treatment, i just have a slow n weak heart rate but i was told its not a bad thing. This is why hr sensors cannot pick up hr from palms. You can only get accurate reading from carotid or radial.
Frenchmaid1969
HIGH FLYER

Post by Frenchmaid1969 »

So you guy's are saying that all those hand sensor and like the polar heart rate monitor are not that accurate?

Good then it make me feel better because i panic when one day i was just walking and look at watch and wow it was at 245 beat... i freak mostly because i am always scread to died from a heart attach since i am 35 now i am 40 and the reason for that is that dad died at 35 from a heart attach so i guess i stuck with me i am trying to put in head that what cause his heart attach was that he had cancer and was taking a lots of strong meds and his heart gave out but i was only 11 when he died so i guess its screw me up a bit!

But so i panic because it went so high but i also had cell phone in bra (its sound stupid) but its because i had it on vibrate and also was listening music and i could not feel phone in pocket so i put it on the strap of bra and someone told me that maybe it could of cause interference with the heart monitor watch...

Well it freak me out so i don't ware it anymore and also i have a hand sensor on stationary bike at home so i should not listen to this and just take pulse on wrist unstead... sometime when i bike it goes like 70, 80, then go to 65 then back at 80 or sometime it just stay at 92 when i bike or it does not show at all.... so its kind of confusing those gadget!!!!