Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, hand weights & Water polo...

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

alx_fitness
STARTING OUT

Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, hand weights & Water polo...

Post by alx_fitness »

Good day,
I play water polo / swimming 4 times a week, running 2-3 times a week and work out at home 3-4 times a week (various sets of Push-ups, pull-ups & ab crunches).
Overall I'm well built and in good health.

I recently bought a pair of adjustable hand weights that can be a Min of 3kg to a Max of 15kg.
goal is to increase the muscle mass and volume of biceps, triceps, shoulders & chest without having to go to the Gym or use steroids & other extras...

What is the best strategy that I should follow:

1.Increase the weight of the hand weights and do less repeats for each set of specialized exercises for the biceps, triceps & shoulders 3 times a week?

Or..

2.Decrease the weight of the hand weights and do more repeats for each set of specialized exercises for the biceps, triceps & shoulders 3 times a week?

Do I have to increase the amount of daily protein / meat that I consume? At the moment I eat red meat 1-2 times a week and the rest of the week, I have a balanced Mediterranean diet, dairy products, carbohydrates, salads, seafood, etc...

I have little experience with weights so any help or other suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Last edited by alx_fitness on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodstock
STARTING OUT

Re: Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, hand weights & Water polo...

Post by woodstock »

try muscle confusion. you know doing different workouts to avoid the plateau effect.
alx_fitness
STARTING OUT

Post by alx_fitness »

Lesplease wrote:I prefer to work in a 5-8 rep range. So go heavier, fewer reps, 3x/week.

Protein within an hour after you workout
Thanks!
Exactly how many kilos should I do for biceps, triceps & shoulder exercises?
At the moment for biceps / triceps, I can do 6kg hand-weights 12-15 reps x 5sets, 3x / week.
Should I go higher with the weights?
alx_fitness
STARTING OUT

Post by alx_fitness »

woodstock wrote:try muscle confusion. you know doing different workouts to avoid the plateau effect.
Thanks!
What's the plateau effect by the way?
Should I combine biceps, triceps, shoulder, chest & other exercises in one day by the way?
alx_fitness
STARTING OUT

Post by alx_fitness »

Thank you all so much for all the info!
I think these will do just fine for the moment...

A few more queries:

Also, when I do chin-ups, is it best for the biceps work-out, to have the palms close to each other (facing face), wider apart on the same vertical axis as shoulders, or even wider, when I'm pulling up?

When they say that I have to work & train on "core" (which is the part of body that stabilizes the rest of body), do they mean the muscles around spinal column or the chest?

Two bodybuilders that own the shop I buy weights from, suggested that in order to gain muscle mass/volume much faster, I should also consume daily for 1.5 months, 160gr (80gr before lunch & 80gr after evening workout before going to bed) of the following protein supplement and combined with 3gr of creatine powder (daily) before workout, to increase strength and to be able to workout more time.

All Stars Whey-Plex WPC-80
http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/ ... 2548-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All-Stars Creatin Pur
http://www.sport-tiedje.com/allstars/na ... tinpur.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So are these products any good?

I’ve never used any protein supplements or creatine before. Are there any health risks involved? Generally I don’t have any health problems, but should I ask physician before I start using them?

Also, there seems to be a confusion of whether more kilos / less reps is ideal for increasing muscle mass/volume and less kilos / more reps is ideal for definition / toning your muscles or the exact opposite:

High Reps for "Muscle Tone" BAD Advice!

http://fitnessblackbook.com/muscle_tone ... ad-advice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’ve asked 10 different people who have been doing weights for years (all very well built-up) and surprisingly, they had 2 different opinions on the matter. Half said that more kilos / less reps is ideal to increase muscle mass / volume & the other half said that less kilos / more reps is the best way to increase muscle mass / volume.

So what is the case then?

Thanks in advance