Workout in the A.M. or P.M.

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

skully
REGULAR

Re: Workout in the A.M. or P.M.

Post by skully »

Haha..the only time I could see myself working out in the early hours are between 10-12, realistically speaking that's not doable in the real world when you have a full-time job. I used to do that while I was at univeristy, and now on weekends. I do admit I feel better AFTERWARDS the session, energy wise, while if I do it late in the afternoon or night, I feel very sleepy. Who knows, if I get tired of working out in at night once I start working, I might switch to a morning session, since I technically start working at 10 a.m. ...still not always the case as these are hours are fixed for a show only. bleeeh. damn journalism, dammit!
skully
REGULAR

Post by skully »

amatlack wrote:I have a full-time job and sometimes workout during my lunch hour. :) Then I just eat at my desk when I get back.
I would love if that were an option. Where I will be working, 99% of the people are chained to their desk or not in the office writing, filing, editing stories. Newspaper business for ya. I honestly am not even sure if we're entitled to a lunch hour or not! They said to me, you pace yourself. Plus my gym is at least 20 mins away ride, and 20 mins back or so...20 mins is not enough to workout..I guess it really depends on location, nature of work, and other things whether its possible to get a REAL workout in a gym or not. I can easily sneak some push ups and squats, but will they do to me? Nothing, right?
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

I just started working out from 6-7AM and I'm liking it so far. For me it sets a positive tone for the rest of the day, plus it's the only time I can schedule exercise and know that literally nothing can interrupt it - except maybe my sleep ; )

Just do what works best for you!
LozTaylor
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by LozTaylor »

When I didn't have any commitments over the summer last year I liked working out late morning, around 9:30/10am start. Now I have to workout at any time starting from 3-4pm or so. I much prefered the early workouts. As others have said, it sets a good tone for the day and gets it done. Tried some evening workouts, really not for me.
T.P.W.
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by T.P.W. »

Despite doing weights I'm an AM person, but that's largely because I'm in a position to do that. I'll most likely be an evening person at some point in the future when I have a job that isn't events based, damn evening work!

The main reason I go in the morning (between half 9 and 10 usually) is because the weights room is usually empty leaving me free to use whatever I want uninterrupted.
Justadreamin
STARTING OUT

Post by Justadreamin »

Do most of you guys do your strength training and cardio in different sessions or do you do it all at once? My plan was to do cardio to warm up then do some strength training then finish up with cardio is that a bad idea? Should I do strength some days and cardio other days? I'm completely new to the whole working out thing
Bonnie
VETERAN

Post by Bonnie »

I was doing mine on separate days because I couldn't imagine doing sprints, then 20 minutes of running on TOP of a session of weights :) If it is just running, then I will just tack it on to the weights day.
Justadreamin
STARTING OUT

Post by Justadreamin »

Today I did cardio at the beginning 30 mins and then weight training some for about an hour and 30 mins of cardio at end. I am going to try to go in the morning before school and then in the afternoon. I guess I'm going to do cardio in the AM and strength training in PM . Right now for me its trial and error since this is the first time I've ever worked out and I'm really out of shape so I can't hit anything really hard as I have no endurance. Today I did the bike at 12 mph for 6 miles and treadmill 3.2 mph for 1.5 mi and then just some misc lower body strength training (i'm doing upper tomorrow)
jmvane15
STARTING OUT

Post by jmvane15 »

I always just workout in the mornings.
Stay_Fit
STARTING OUT

Post by Stay_Fit »

I like doing my exercises in the evening before I go to sleep because right after I get a good feeling that puts me to sleep :). In the morning I mostly just do stretching because I want to reserve my energy for work. Is there any good morning exercise I can do that will not get me too tired but help to burn calories?
Jentry07
STARTING OUT

Post by Jentry07 »

I like doing it in the mornings and just get it over with for the day! If I wait till later sometimes things will come up and can get in the way of my workout time.
Also it makes me more self conscious of what I am eating throughout the day when I've had a good workout in the morning. Gives me motivation to eat healthy because I do not want to undo all my hard work.