Running Question

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

starrfilled
STARTING OUT

Running Question

Post by starrfilled »

For Jillian: I just started running. I am planning on running for a half an hour six days a week only .. due to an old knee/acl injury. I am 200.. want to get down to 120..how much weight can I expect to lose in how many months.
vamp
VETERAN

Re: Running Question

Post by vamp »

I admit, thats a worthy goal. Although, every day may aggrevate the old knee injury. Perhaps a walk one day and a jog the next would help prevent excessive pounding on the knee. So 1/2 hour run and the next day, say a 45 minute quick paced walk.

Remember to check your diet (the diet and nutrition forum on here has some excellent stickies in it!)

On average one can expect a 1- 3 pound weight loss per week and this is considered healthy. After each month you should reveiw your loss and your diet and excercise to tweak where needed so your body will continue to respond and continue to loose weight.

Please remember, muscle weighs more than fat, so if you only go by what the scale says you may end up disappointed. Goals can change and you can change them.... That said, you may wish to do body measurements and set your goals more along those lines instead. Using a tape measure will show your losses even if the scale doesn't. I've seen a woman lose only five pounds on a scale and yet lose 3" off her waist.... Good thing she used the tape measure or she wouldn't have seen the results and been very disappointed! After she saw that happen she re-evaluated her goals to include body measurements as well.

Lastly, Good on you for setting a goal and a plan to reach it. Best of luck doing it and remember, we are all here if you have any questions.

Cheers
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

I have to agree with vamp, I don't think that running is a good option here that's alot of impact. At 200 pounds with knee issues you would be better served doing sprint/interval training on a indoor cycle, bicycle or elliptical. Warm-up for 5 minutes, do 20 minutes of intervals and a 5 minute cool-down. You will lose weight faster in less time, in fact studies show fat loss is 3 times faster. Vary your length of intervals, but remember the goal is to go faster rather than longer. If 20 minutes isn't enough, you're not working hard enough.

ACL injuries are common in female athletes. You need to strengthen your hamstrings for added support. Romanian deadlifts, and good mornings are great for this. Add steps-ups and modified squats for balance.

Lastly, most weight loss is due to diet. 1lb per week for every 500 calories per day deficit.
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

I would lean to agreement with les on this, It's been awhile and excercise will be difficult to get back into and if not taken at a planned pace to increase effort week to week and month to month, injuries and disappointments may prevent you from your goals.

2 to 3 months would be a good planned time to condition yourself before looking at intervals, although you need to be the judge of this.

Also to rethink what I said earlier.

Perhaps 6 walks per week for a half hour, try to increase the distance you go in this set time, try for 1- 2 months of this. This will be more of a "step" back into excercise before running again and help you to strengthen muscles and joints and your heart and lungs. Don't forget to stretch afterwards :)

cheers
LeanaJo
STARTING OUT

Post by LeanaJo »

Running does burn a ton of calories, but if you have already a knee problem, probably everyday is not a good idea. How about every other day? Walk on the day you don't run. It sure saves the knees and let's them "rest" some before your run the next day.
wendyfittrainer
STARTING OUT

Post by wendyfittrainer »

It would be a good idea to drop some weight first before you start running, especially if you have bad knees. Start with a walking program 5-6 days per week for 30- 45 minutes. Try power walking, this can be intense if you put the effort into it. Then when you start dropping weight do intervals of jogging and walking. Take it slow getting into running, it can take a toll on your joints.