core work

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

moman129
STARTING OUT

core work

Post by moman129 »

started doing pallof presses.I started them about 4 weeks ago can really feel the tightning.I like doing them.I work out full body 3 times a week and do them at the end of workout.I do all the big lifts(deads,squats etc).
question is...is it ok to continue to do the same core work(3 sets X time) as long as I'm making progress(adding 5 seconds each week) or am I not getting enough core balance(if there is such a thing).I'm not big on doing plank work in the gym and if I try to do them at home I somehow don't find the time to do them consistently.
2nd question...Right now I'm doing 40lbs at 45 seconds when should I move up in weight or should I.Was planning on getting to 90 seconds and then move up 10lbs and start at 30 seconds?
thanks guys,learning so much can't retain it all
moman129
STARTING OUT

Re: core work

Post by moman129 »

but doesn't the extra core work help with lifts.I can't really tell if lifts are getting better(maybe yes) core was slowly getting tighter when I was just doing the lifts(about 2 years)but the difference in the last month has been somewhat significant
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

1 - you do need actual core work
2 - use different variations too, do pallofs 1/week
3 - do planks at the gym
moman129
STARTING OUT

Post by moman129 »

Thanks for the input...you're the best.
Is working in that roman's chair or captain's chair or whatever they call it,is that the same as doing those hanging pike things or whatever they call those.
So I could do a plank,a pallof press and a roman chair core work thing each week?
PS Channel 2 news new york just did a big thing on exercises you shouldn't be doing in the gym
drum roll please.....sit ups,dips(bench variety OK),behind the neck press,leg extensions,upright rows....gee where have I seen this before
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

bench dips are worse then normal dips

i'd stay off the roman chair too, same as sit ups just about