30 day shred

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: Boss Man, cassiegose

stephsornord
STARTING OUT

30 day shred

Post by stephsornord »

I'm finding it hard to determine approx. how many calories I'm burning on level 3 of jillian michaels '30 day shred' workout vid. using a fitness calculator seems kind o' tricky and not very accurate. Can any one give me a good idea/estimate as to calories burned with this workout?
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Re: 30 day shred

Post by PandorasVise »

calorie counters are not very reliable because it always is based on how hard you push it. Always try to do better than the time before. So long as you have a set program and work hard at it, the amount of calories burnt doesn't matter, because you are not going to 'make up' those extra burnt calories by eating more, if you are trying to lose weight.
itgirl25
STARTING OUT

Post by itgirl25 »

buy a heart rate monitor. i live and die by my polar FT60. tells me everything i need to know.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Bear in mind that electronic measuring devices of type are purely a guide. You would need to use a shed load of Heart rate monitors, to ascertain if the readings were almost the same or merely ballpark.

The same thing as electronic monitors on things like Treadmills. Ballpark figures no doubt, but unless you have x-ray vision, how could you truly assess the accuracy?

Certainly though if you're going to try and measure such things, I'd suggest either a Heart rate monitor, or maybe something like a Bodybugg.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

why does it matter? worry about how many you're taking in i think...
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

swanso5 wrote:why does it matter? worry about how many you're taking in i think...
Words to live by
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

Lesplease wrote:Just as an aside, I did intervals on a treadmill last week. Whole thing was 27 minutes. I apparently burned 1553 calories through the entire thing and most of it was the "slow" part of the interval, with some hilly stuff.

There's no way to really know. Go with swanso and patty here, watch the intake, stay active. Bam.
I want your treadmill!! 1553 is impressive for 27 minutes, dang! You are going to waste away to nothing :D