Jen's progress so far... In pictures. (:

Post your photos and show everyone the progress you have made with your physique!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Jen's progress so far... In pictures. (:

Post by Boss Man »

Be proud, because not only have you changed your life, you're continuing to become a better rolemodel to your son and you will be able to be more of a mother to him as a result, when you have more ability to participate in certain activities.

:).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Any updates?
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

I will post another pic when I get down to 153. That'll be 10 more lbs down from last pic. I'm at 154 and a half right now. I'd been stuck in a plateau for 3 months until this week. However... went to a nutritionist this week. body fat is 21.8%, which is in the ideal range. For the first time in life since the age of ten, I'm certifiably healthy! I am going to push for 18% though. I'd like to be lower in the ideal range.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I don't know whether you're able to disclose this, but what did the nutritionist have to add to the situation?

It's okay if you can't say, for some kind of proffessional reasons relating to the nutritionist, as I'm just curious that's all.
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

The nutritionist gave me some ideas about food intake (a) it wasn't enough even for bmr -1550 calories now- (b) I was underestimating calories burned and not eating enough to compensate (I was burning 700- 1000 calories a day, 5-6 days a week). water intake was high enough I was waterloading a little bit and felt full all the time. She thought I was probably overtraining a bit, so I've backed down on cardio to 4 days a week, alternating with weights a couple days a week. I'll be seeing her and we'll monitor bf%, food intake, weight loss, etc. She has referred me on to a therapist to deal with some issues from past (I was never treated for years of bulimia, and grew up with an exercise addict, orthorexic mother who advocated years of strange yo-yo diets and put a lot of weird ideas in head about what food should mean to me. Basically entire life I've been very out of touch with feelings about food because they were never recognized as a child, pretty much like the rest of feelings.)

Beyond lack of ample calories, she said diet was good and clean, and actually well-balanced for the most part, but I needed to add in a few more carbs and allow myself some splurges from time to time. It's all common sense stuff, but sometimes it takes someone pointing it out to really recognize it.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I completely agree that an outside looking in perspectve can sometimes be a valuable resource.

I think I may have touched on the cardio at some point in the past, as I think you may have been doing too much, bearing in mind the weights you are doing as well and the overtraining could very well have put a crimp on progress.

I think this will be a good thing for you and although you don't need support on this, I will say here and now, that I actively support this move for you, because if I see certain things as being in your best interest, then it serves no purpose for me to be against them and advising you against incorporating additional and sensible lifestyle practices and help into your life.

If these changes help you better overcome the physical past you have lived with, then GOOD LUCK and keep looking forwards not back.

Just like everyone here, your progress and your feeling and wishes are important and should come first when I respond and I try to make sure it's always the case for all :).

Of course if there is anything you would like to privately discuss with me, then you can always get in touch anytime :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

ArtzyJen wrote:It will be 3 years in July since I really started getting serious about it, but I've lost 72 lbs total in the last 3.5 years. Gone from a size 16/18 at highest to a size 7/8 currently. I still have about 27 lbs to lose to be at ultimate goal weight. I've been overweight all life so this is a new experience for me to actually be fit! It is hard work for sure. I've hit many plateaus, but managed to push through and not even let illness and injury hold me back much. I'm proud of myself. Even if I still have a little way to go. I'm sure you can do the same!
Your journey has been truly inspirational, and it looks as though you have worked hard to get where you are today. Congrats!
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Update pic. Size Medium dress from Target Juniors section. Wearing size 8, some size 6 depending on brands.

As for weight... it's actually gone up, but it's from muscle. I'm training for a triathlon and half marathon this fall. I've given up looking at the scale to gauge progress and I'm going instead by clothes and how I feel. nutritionist is super happy with progress. Body fat is at 21%.

Currently I'm taking in 1,900 calories a day, working out 5 days a week. 3 days running, 1 day swimming, 1 day biking. I do weights 2-3x a week in addition to the cardio listed here. On days I'm running longer than an hour, I take in about 2200 cals, on biking days, even more than that. rides are anywhere from 13-18 miles.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

What can I say, but WELL DONE misses, because I am seriously, seriously proud of you :).

You look more beautiful with age and the more you progress and I hope you continue to develop your physical capability, especially with the strength, because the level of muscle you cultivate today, could be an absolute godsend in 50 years from now, if you're still alive and you can have more mobility and the chance to still be an independant Lady.

You know you're one of those people on here that I cannot help but admire a lot, for the way you are turning your life around physically and being an even greater rolemodel to your son than you were before, so now he gets even more of the person he enjoyed before, because he can learn things from you about the right ways to live and believe in himself.

You always make me happy for you and you always make me smile inside. It's been a while since you posted and it always seems like too long, because you always provide inspiration and brilliant support to others and I hope that we continue to see you around here when you can be, because we will always be here to support you, whatever goes on in life, no matter what the circumstances, because whether it's physical, mental, emotional, family, work etc, if you want us to reach out, we'll do that without hesitation and as always that goes uneqivocably for me as well and if it ever gets too much or a bit manic PM me anytime :).

Anyway, keep on believing and keep on pushing. I'm 10,000,000% in support of your triathlon and your half marathon Jen. I personally wouldn't do anything like that, but I admire and respect anyone on here that would wish to do that and whatever we can do as a community to help you achieve your goals, just let us know :).

I'm sending you a BIG PAT ON THE BACK and I'm wishing you GOOD LUCK with everything.

You really are doing brilliantly Jen, so chin up, be strong and keep believing in yourself, because you ARE worth it and you've more than earned the right to be proud of yourself, because you are a true, true Lady, you've come a pretty long way and you look amazing :).

Oh and please do keep us updated about the triathlon and the half, as I'd be interested and I'm sure others would too, to know more about how the prep is going and what emotions and experiences you're going through :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

ArtzyJen wrote:Update pic. Size Medium dress from Target Juniors section. Wearing size 8, some size 6 depending on brands.

As for weight... it's actually gone up, but it's from muscle. I'm training for a triathlon and half marathon this fall. I've given up looking at the scale to gauge progress and I'm going instead by clothes and how I feel. nutritionist is super happy with progress. Body fat is at 21%.

Currently I'm taking in 1,900 calories a day, working out 5 days a week. 3 days running, 1 day swimming, 1 day biking. I do weights 2-3x a week in addition to the cardio listed here. On days I'm running longer than an hour, I take in about 2200 cals, on biking days, even more than that. rides are anywhere from 13-18 miles.

Amazing progress!
So your training for a triathlon and half marathon in the fall? WOW... you are a lot tougher than me! :oops:
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

It's just a sprint distance Tri. 12 miles of biking, 5k of running, 500m of swimming. Swimming is going to be the most challenging. It's been a long time since I've been on a swim team! I was 15 the last time I was swimming that distance regularly. I turn 31 next week.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

You look great! Love the dress. :D

Doing "just a sprint" tri is no small feat! Congrats on making the decision to train for it and for the 1/2 marathon. :D
The swim part is the hardest for me too. I think it is for most runners. only advice is if it is an open water swim, to try your best to do some open water training to get used to the elements.
I trained for a 1 mile open water swim with only lap swimming at the local gym pool....got a serious wake up call on race day, totally different ballgame :shock: :mrgreen:
Good luck on your continued progress! You are doing fantastic! :D :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well incase you don't post on here before then, I'd like to wish you a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY for next week :).

I hope the coming 12 months will bring you a lot of happiness, warmth, sunshine, smiles and rainbows, because I think you've earned that many times over.

You're a wonderful Mother and no doubt wife, friend of the people and a wonderful asset to the community and I want to say THANK YOU for the constant kindness, humanity and inspiration that you have given people for nearly 3 years now, as this site wouldn't be the same without you, I really believe that :).

So have a wonderful 31st and keep on smiling and believing in yourself Jen, because you have so much to be proud of yourself for, not least your contributions to your domestic setup, but also for the way you've changed yourself physically and embraced a stronger, leaner and fitter you, because I am proud of you and no matter how often I comment, I am always 10,000,000% behind you in all your goals and your personal wants and you deserve to be putting the time effort and care into yourself that you do do, because you ARE worth it and you have slowly and successfully reinvented yourself, into an even more beautiful and definitely humbling and inspiring Lady, than you were before and your son deserves to have your heart and your example to learn from and be touched by and I am in no doubt that he couldn't wish for more from a Mother than you give him and he is a wonderful gift you have in your life every day :).

Keep on keeping on Jen and best wishes and whatever the coming 12 months bring, myself and the community will always try to be here, to do what we can to support you and look out for you, like we always have done, because you have earned it, you deserve it and you DO make an appreciated difference.

:) :)