Need to from a huge cyst

Post your photos and show everyone the progress you have made with your physique!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Hopefuldreamer
STARTING OUT

Need to from a huge cyst

Post by Hopefuldreamer »

I had a huge ovarian cyst and in April I had surgery to have it removed. I looked about four or five months pregnant, and I probably had it for about 3 years. I thought I was fat, but it turns out it wasn't fat. I found out in January what it was because it started to really hurt last November. It is gone now, but stomach still kind of has a stretched out look to it. I go hiking every day after work if it's not raining, and it's usually a four hour hike. I am thinking of starting the 30 day ab challenge. I just find I have a bit of a pooch behind the button, but it doesn't really look like it's fat.

Here are some pictures of before surgery, right after and now.

Before:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y52 ... e9f082.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y52 ... d0a054.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right after surgery:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y52 ... 30b9a5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y52 ... c8da5d.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now:
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y52 ... a93bbb.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y52 ... 11ec1a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can see that there is definite improvement from right after the surgery, stomach has flattened but it still sticks out a bit. doctor has told me he doesn't think I should lose more weight, so that means maintain weight, but somehow build abs and that. I've never been a junk food eater, which is why I couldn't figure out why I got fat in the first place (I thought the cyst was fat) and I've always been active. I could do more cardio if it involves that, hiking season is almost over so I need to find something new to entertain myself for the winter months anyway, and building has a gym in it. I couldn't use it last winter when I first moved in because of the cyst.
Rickinator
STARTING OUT

Re: Need to from a huge cyst

Post by Rickinator »

Cardio and strength training works pretty well to build a sexy body for ladies. Theyre saying strong is the new skinny...You look great by the way. That seems like a big ordeal to get over.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Firstly I want to say I think you should be really proud of yourself, for being open about an obviously tricky subject relating to yourself, because you don't know any of us and I totally appreciate the sensitivity of your predicament and I feel really proud of you for finding a bit of strength to do this and I hope we can help you to improve your own circumstances :).

Secondly I agree with Rick. I think the best way to go would be to stick to the cardio you're doing and add in weights to build you up somewhat. I'd also reccomend a small daily caloric increase to assist with this strategy.

If I were to assume you eat 6 meals a day, then I suggest you add another 300 calories a day, working out at around 50 additional calories per meal.

This could be done in one of two ways.

1. 5g protein, 5g carbs, 1g fat, (49 calories)

2. 5g carbs, 3-4g fat, (47-56 calories).

You could be aiming for 0.8-1.2g of protein per lb of bodyweight, so if you feel okay about your current intake you may find option 2 is better, but if you want, you could aim for option 1.

You don't need to be too precise about the actual added calories, as long as you're in the right area, regarding the amounts of the stated macronutrients in whichever option you choose, that's the main thing.

If needs be another calorie increase could be implemented at a later date, depending on the improvements made.

If you need any more advice or help on how to increase your muscle strength, then don't hesitate to let us know and will do what we think is best to help and definitely maintain the cardio for 2-3 days a week.

I hope the comments received thus far have helped and whatever happens GOOD LUCK.

We are here for you, we do care and I hope this situation culminates in a positive outcome for you, because you definitely deserve it :).
Hopefuldreamer
STARTING OUT

Post by Hopefuldreamer »

Thanks. I usually do it at least five or six days a week. It all depends on if it's raining out or not if I am going hiking, and how much rain because the trails will be muddy. And normally I take the steps in apartment building unless I am carrying things, and I am on the 11th floor. And yes, I don't mind talking about this online. Not too many people I know have been able to give me advice. One person even told me that there is nothing I can do about it, that it will always be like that but I don't believe that. I think eventually I can get it back to normal. I think soon I will be getting the pass for apartment building gym. I just don't do gyms in the summer because I spend pretty much entire summer outside exercising. I only get memberships in the winter because I know I will use them.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The main thing is not to think it's a lost cause and accept how it looks, if you aren't 100% comfortable with it. I think some people may says there's nothing you can do about it, not to make you feel like you're wasting your time, but just because they may not actually know any way(s) you could help yourself.

Whatever happens, keep persevering, but remember the bigger picture like so many forget. Your internal mechanics will work much better, when exposed to beneficial kinds of physical activity, performed properly and in sensible weekly amounts and that should always be the main focus of anyones activities with the cosmetic changes being a tagged on bonus.

So definitely keep working out, consider the weight training as well and remember that this is part of the rest of your life, whether you completely or partially reduce the abdominal bump you have left or not and it's another thing you are doing to be proud of :).
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Keep up the hard work! Your efforts definitely show and as the Boss Man sayith, thank you for sharing your story!

As we head into the winter season, remember, you can still do hikes if dressed properly and they can be more challenging.... do a lap around the local school's football field with a foot of snow for a great cardio workout!! Of course if you love the outdoors, cross country skiing or snow shoeing is also a possibility (used sports good stores may have what you need and the internet can be a great place to learn how to do these sports safely).

Don't rule out weights in the summer months but perhaps reduce them.... studies show that 2x per week is still beneficial for muscle and bone strength and in as little as a 1/2 hour in the gym you can have these positive results.

Thanks again for sharing and I hope you keep up the positive attitude and get the results you are looking for!

Vamp