Jocelyn's Food Journal

Post your food journals so others can review your diet and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

feelin-great
VETERAN

Re: Jocelyn's Food Journal

Post by feelin-great »

Oh, I almost forgot. Last night a friend of mine tried to convince me to sign up for the Chicago 1/2 marathon in August! I laughed at her - the most I have run is 3.4 miles (on a treadmill) - that's a long ways from 13.1 :lol: I said maybe I will start with a 5K this spring :)
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

That's great that you want to do a 5k. If you can run over 3 miles on a treadmill you should have no problem! It will definitely be something to train for. If you can already run over 3 miles outside you might even want to train for a 10k. Just a thought. I know Lynne really likes 5k's. When I was a runner i was always more of a distance runner I never really pushed myself how fast i could run but how far. Anyways just a thought. This warm weather we are having really helps to get you outside i know that. :)
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

amatlack wrote:I think I'm weird. I can do sprints all day long now, but I tucker out really quick during distance runs. I did 5 miles outside this weekend (slooooow pace), and it felt like feet were going to fall off.
No, you aren't weird! LOL! Are you doing your sprints on the treadmill? This can make a difference. Running outside is harder physically - takes more effort. I don't know all the techinical jargon to explain it, but running on a treadmill, while it is a good workout, the belt actually does "help" you a bit on your forward propulsion, as your foot rolls down the belt as it is moving. Whereas running on a non moving surface, your legs and feet have to do all the work, and it takes more of a toll on you. Plus, sprints and long distance running utilize different types of endurance - both are important for a well rounded running program, but it is hard to be good at both at the same time. If you focus on sprints more often, then your long run will suffer, the same applies if you only run long slow endurance runs, then your sprints and shorter faster runs will suffer. Just keep working at it, keep doing the longer runs, don't worry about the pace. In relation to long endurance training - we ( running club) always say..."it's not how fast you go, it's time on your feet" :mrgreen:
And something I wrote a long time ago:
"It's not the size or the speed, but the will to succeed that makes a true athlete"
I may not be the fastest, nor the smallest, but I have the heart of an athlete and the desire to succeed - that's all I need - I know you do too!! :D
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

I know, I get so bored on the treadmill too, I only like to use it for HIIT.
You have a 10K in June? That is awesome! If you are doing 5 miles now, you should have no problem with a 10K.
You may need more forefoot cushion in your shoes. Do you have inserts in them? That might help. How many miles do you estimate you have run in them? 300 miles is a good point to switch out shoes for new ones. You'd be surprised how fast you can rack up 300 miles if you are running regular and doing sprints.
Jocelyn, no maybe's - go for the 5K!!! You can do it! You are already there on mileage - just be easy on your knee. And if you really want to do the 1/2 m. in August, you have time. There are plenty of 12 week training programs out there. You might even consider doing a run/walk program. I have ran many a 1/2 marathon and had run/walkers pass me up because they were able to "rest' on the walk portion and then run faster than me on the run portion - plus it looked like they were having alot more fun than I was - they weren't bent over in agony trying to run the whole thing like i was! I was secretly very envious of them. :wink: I am starting a run/walk full marathon training program now for a marathon in October. I just want to do one, just so I can have that achievement. I'm not a long distance runner per say, strength lies in shorter faster races, but the allure of the marathon is a dream i want to achieve.
It is great to set a goal and try for it, then achieve it - so I say go for it! The accomplishment is in the "trying", the hard work and focus it takes to get there...the race is just the gravy (oops, did I say gravy? ack! I mean "extra light vinaigrette" yeah, that's what I meant.... :mrgreen: )
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

fitoverforty wrote:Jocelyn, no maybe's - go for the 5K!!! You can do it!
OK, no maybe, I am definitely going to do at least a 5K, maybe a 10K :) As far as the 1/2 marathon, I don't want to sign up and pay for it if I am not going to do it - but there is also a 1/2 marathon in October where I live (last year was the first) so I think I will shoot for that one :) The biggest factor will be knee, so hopefully now that I figured out what is causing it I can heal!
fitoverforty wrote:There are plenty of 12 week training programs out there.
Is this just a program you follow yourself, like something you get off the Internet? It would really help to have some kind of goal program to keep me going! Even if it is a run/walk program I am OK with that :)
fitoverforty wrote:It is great to set a goal and try for it, then achieve it - so I say go for it! The accomplishment is in the "trying", the hard work and focus it takes to get there...the race is just the gravy (oops, did I say gravy? ack! I mean "extra light vinaigrette" yeah, that's what I meant.... :mrgreen: )
LOL! I like the extra light vinaigrette :lol: Now you are making me want to go for it :)
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

amatlack wrote: I did 5 miles outside this weekend (slooooow pace)
That's awesome! Pace doesn't matter, you stuck with it and did 5 miles :)
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

feelin-great wrote:but there is also a 1/2 marathon in October where I live (last year was the first) so I think I will shoot for that one :)
Yes!
feelin-great wrote:Is this just a program you follow yourself, like something you get off the Internet?
I try to follow a program, with own tweaks here and there. If you want a program that focuses on running only (no walking) a really good one for the 1/2 m., and one I have used is: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you feel more like a run/walk training program here is one I found that you might like:
http://running.about.com/od/halfmaratho ... rathon.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do some research, find the one that best suits your needs and fitness level. Give yourself enough time to prepare. 16 to 20 weeks is about right for a first time long distance race. So if your race is in October that is just over 20 weeks away, so time to start preparing! :D
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Lynne, you're awesome!!!!!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Today's menu...

Breakfast - oatmeal with 1 whole egg, cinnamon, stevia, skim milk, protein shake

Snack - carrots, 2 LF string cheese

Lunch - turkey sandwich, 1 cup grapes

Snack - 1 cup FF cottage cheese, 21 almonds

Workout - No More Trouble Zones DVD - run/walk (I used to walk/run before dvd because the sun went down earlier, now I am going to try it the other way around since we have a lot more daylight)

After workout snack - protein shake

Dinner - chicken, brown rice, red peppers, zucchini, mushrooms

LOL - meals are getting REALLY repetitive this week :)

Last night after work I stopped at parent's to pick up Stewie - when I was walking out, mom said "Joc, you are really starting to look skinny." Just randomly - she never does that, she only says something if someone else brings it up and it is usually half-hearted :)

I also mentioned to parents that I am planning to do the half marathon in October - they kind of just laughed it off like yeah, sure you are. That's enough motivation for me!
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

feelin-great wrote:Last night after work I stopped at parent's to pick up Stewie - when I was walking out, mom said "Joc, you are really starting to look skinny." Just randomly - she never does that, she only says something if someone else brings it up and it is usually half-hearted :)!
That's always good to hear :wink: SO don't be slacking off!!!! :mrgreen:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Nokie173 wrote: SO don't be slacking off!!!! :mrgreen:
Yes, Seargent :D
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

Sounds like that's a rare compliment to receive, I can tell you're proud! And you should be :D
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

It is pretty rare so I have to soak it up when I can :) Now I just have to prove them wrong about the 1/2 marathon!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

feelin-great wrote:Lynne, you're awesome!!!!!
just trying to help peeps. :wink:
feelin-great wrote:Now I just have to prove them wrong about the 1/2 marathon!
I've no doubt you will do just that. You've got enough time to plan it out, train in a progressive manner that gradually prepares you for the race. October may seem like a long way off, but for 1/2 m. and full m. training (especially for a first time) it is time to start setting the ground work now. Remember to give yourself at least 16 to 20 weeks to train. :D
What's your game plan? Have you chosen a training program yet?
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

fitoverforty wrote:What's your game plan? Have you chosen a training program yet?
As much as I want to train for running the whole thing, I am considering training for the run/walk instead. I am going to do more research and think about it for the next few days to decide. I plan to start the actual training next week. The race is on September 25th - I forgot Oktoberfest here starts the weekend before October, so I have plenty of time to prepare. I just found out that I do have another friend who is planning to run it with me, she is a new runner as well so it will be good to have the motivation of another person. Unfortunately we can't train together because she lives 45 minutes from me, but we will definitely work together to keep each other on track!

Question, when I start training for this, should I be adding calories each day?