Jocelyn's Food Journal

Post your food journals so others can review your diet and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

feelin-great
VETERAN

Jocelyn's Food Journal

Post by feelin-great »

OK, here goes nothin'! I have yo-yo'd with weight since I was 25. Up until then I was very small - I always had to try to gain weight and then BAM, it worked - and it backfired :) I have lost some of the weight more than once, but every time I lose it I end up gaining it back plus some. In January I decided to try and do this the right way with BOTH diet and exercise, instead of just eating less. Since January 3rd I have lost 14.8 pounds but I am getting very bored with diet and I don't want to plateau!

I am hoping that posting journal on this site daily will be exactly what I need to keep me honest and motivated. I have journaled before when I joined Weight Watchers but I wasn't always real honest with myself so hopefully this will help to hold me accountable! Plus I am hoping to get some new food ideas. I absolutely HATE to cook (I think it has more to do with not wanting to clean up afterwards than the actual cooking itself!). Plus I cook for one, and that can be a challenge because I find myself eating the same thing everyday so it doesn't go to waste, and then I get bored and frustrated and give up.

Since day isn't over yet I think I will start with yesterday's food/exercise and go from there.

Food 02/24/10

6:45 am Breakfast

Vanilla Protein Shake (Arbonne) - I love these because they are 100% vegan protein
16 oz coffee with light Coffee Mate powder

8:00 am
16 oz vending machine coffe with lightener and sugar

9:30 am Morning Snack

1 Cup purple grapes

12:30 pm Lunch
1 cup Dannon Light and Fit yogurt
1/2 cup blueberries
1/8 cup Kashi nuggets cereal

2:00 pm Afternoon Snack

2 cups fresh red pepper, baby carrots, cucumber
2 Arbonne chocolate mint chews

6:30 pm Pre-Workout Snack

Chocolate Protein Shake

8:00 pm Dinner

4 frozen wheat waffles with 1/3 cup light syrup (OK, I was really worn out and lazy last night!)

I also had approximately 65 oz water throughout the day.

Exercise

Jillian Michael's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism workout DVD (Approx 50 minutes including warm up and cool down).

I am really looking forward to posting here, thanks in advance for any suggestions :) I am greatful for the support the people on this site give!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Re: Jocelyn's Food Journal

Post by feelin-great »

So Day 2 was very similar to day 1 because I really need to go grocery shopping!

Food 02/25/10

6:45 am Breakfast

Chocolate Protein Shake
16 oz coffee with light Coffee Mate powder

8:00 am
16 oz vending machine coffe with lightener and sugar

9:30 am Morning Snack

1 Cup purple grapes

12:30 pm Lunch
1 cup Dannon Light and Fit yogurt
1/2 cup blueberries
1/8 cup Kashi nuggets cereal

2:00 pm Afternoon Snack

2 cups fresh red pepper, baby carrots, cucumber
2 Arbonne Pink Lemonade chews

5:30 pm Pre-Workout Snack (the workout didn't end up happening

Chocolate Protein Shake
Light String Cheese

6:30 pm Dinner

Smart Ones frozen Chicken Oriental meal

8:30 pm Late Snack

I was still really hungry so I had light string cheese

I also had approximately 45 oz water throughout the day.

Exercise

I planned on doing the elliptical and recumbent bike but all afternoon I could feel a migraine coming on so I got weaker and weaker throughout the day. I hoped I would feel better after I had pre-workout snack and Imitrex but no such luck, I was down for the count :( I'm feeling like a new person today so I guess I will try to do a little extra cardio tonight.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Lesplease wrote:Glad you are feeling better!!
Hey, thanks! But unfortunately the migraine had me so knocked out last night I didn't have time to prepare food for today so in the 2 minutes I had to get ready for today I had to throw together what I could

Breakfast - protein shake
morning snack - 1 cup honey nut cheerios (dry)
lunch - peanut butter sandwich
afternoon snack - pretzels (low fat)

It's gonna be a long day!!!

Migraines should be outlawed :mrgreen:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

So I ate peanut butter sandwich early today. I feel the headache returning and I know if I let myself get hungry I end up getting weak and the headache gets worse and will turn into another migraine. Now I am stumped on what to do for lunch - I don't have much time during lunch break so I am limited on what I can grab to eat.

I hate not being prepared! I feel like entire day has just been sabotaged because I wasn't prepared and now I don't know how I can possibly get day back on track.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Reading your posts not really sure what your goals are,

Since January 3rd I have lost 14.8 pounds and am now down to 150.2. I know I haven't been eating extremely healthy, but I have been exercising and watching calories. goal is to get down to somewhere around 125-130. I know this may change depending on muscle and such, I may get to 135-140 and like what I see in the mirror. But current goal is 125-130. I also want to lose the weight in a healthy way that I can maintain going forward. I have lost and gained too many times so this time I want to make a lifestyle change!
Looking at your diary, I see several devils that are going to impede your progress. Waffles and light syrup at 8:00 at night is pretty much fat loss suicide. Also, 3 shakes a day? Protein shakes are okay but they are not as good as solid protein like chicken breast, fish, lean meat, eggs, etc. Another thing is coffee with "lightener and sugar" THis is okay I guess but consider what it is doing to your progress.
LOL - waffles, I know! I haven't had a chance to go to the grocery store so I ate what I had available - they are gone so I won't be buying more :) As for the shakes, I usually only do one or two a day - breakfast and then pre-workout. I know I need to work on getting more solid protein in, I am just struggling with the preparation time. And then there is the coffee - this is morning necessity right now - I don't put sugar in the coffee I bring with me, but the stuff from the vending machine is nasty without it - so this morning I got it without the sugar. Then I decided I will never get it from the machine again! YUCK! As for the creamer, I can't do black. I am going to start by just bringing one in the morning and then weening myself off completely. Too much too fast will bring on the headaches : :cry:
I always keep sardines, herring, tuna, salmon cans with me.
OK, this isn't something I can eat! I will just have to come up with something I can have handy that I can manage to eat - any suggestions?
Keep your shakes and cereal for post-workout times.

I work out right after work (otherwise I won't do it) and I have to have something to eat before I work out so that I don't pass out - that's why I do the protein shakes then. I know they are better after, but I am not sure what else to do before the workout. THen i usually eat dinner right after workout.

Thanks for your input - I have been reading your journal at the suggestion of another member and I will probably try to snatch up some of your food ideas. two biggest problems are 1) coming up with food ideas that are healthy and I won't get bored with, and 2) I hate to cook!!!!! I am definitely going to try harder though, this site is pretty inspriational!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

I've always heard that beans and lentils are healthy and filling, but I am not really sure what to do with them, or how to cook them. I prefer not to buy canned foods but I don't know what to do with the dry. I guess I will have to search for some good recipes.

So headache is gone and I am finding myself excited to work out tonight! OK, so the excitement might wear down by the time I get started, but I know how good I feel after a great workout. I think I will do 20 minute elliptical, 20 minute recumbent, and then try to do some weights. That is goal, I will have to post what actually happens later :)
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

OK, so I had a rough weekend as far as food goes. computer at home tanked out on me so I couldn't post until today. Friday night I did 30 minutes elliptical and 30 minutes recumbent. I am a bit foggy on what I ended up eating this weekend so hear goes nothin.

Saturday:
7:30 am 1 serving oatmeal with cinnamon and 1/2 cup skim milk
10:00 am light cheese stick
1:00 pm smart ones frozen meal
4:00 pm cheese stick
7:00 pm honey nut cheerios and milk
9:00 pm jolly time light microwave popcorn

Sunday
7:30 am one whole egg on slice of sara lee delightful whole grain bread
10:30 am english muffin with 1 tbsp peanut butter
1:30 pm honey nut cheerios with milk
4:00 pm cheese stick
7:00 pm chicken breast with green beans and rice
7:30 pm chocolate chip cookie :oops:

So like I said, it was a rough weekend for food. I haven't made it to the grocery store yet so I am basically eating what I have around, I will be shopping tonight and stocking up on the good stuff!! I am trying to decide what type of non-perishable pantry items I need to get to stock cupboards so that I always have some healthy options.

Another reason for the bad food choices is that I painted 2 rooms this weekend so I spent 10 hours each day painting - the only breaks were to eat. Ouch, I am in pain!!!!!!!! And I hate the color I painted kitchen (it makes me want to scream!) so I will be doing that again next weekend. So the only exercise I managed to squeeze in was Friday night and then last night I did the recumbent and elliptical again, but only about 10 minutes each, I was beat!

But on the plus side I lost 2.4 pounds over the last week, which brings me to a total loss of 17.2 pounds since January 3rd. Now I can't wait to get some good foods so I can start eating healthy - stopping at the grocery store tonight :) :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Chicken Beans and Rice might be a bit much Protein wise, considering one or two meals are bit low on Protein.

You could take the Beans out of the Chicken meal, get rid of the Cheese stick thingy, use bit of Low Fat Chesse instead and then add a nice portion of Beans in with the Low Fat Cheese.

I would keep the Egg with Breakfast every day.

Good job on the weightloss, you should be proud of yourself :).
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Boss Man wrote:Chicken Beans and Rice might be a bit much Protein wise, considering one or two meals are bit low on Protein.

You could take the Beans out of the Chicken meal, get rid of the Cheese stick thingy, use bit of Low Fat Chesse instead and then add a nice portion of Beans in with the Low Fat Cheese.

I would keep the Egg with Breakfast every day.

Good job on the weightloss, you should be proud of yourself :).
Thanks! It does feel good to have lost the weight on own willpower, now I just have to incorporate healthier foods :) The cheese stick is actually a low fat string cheese. Thanks for the tip on the beans.

Yay, I finally went grocery shopping and I wasn't as overwhelmed as I thought I would be(thanks to a couple of members who gave me some tips in a different post!).

I didn't get to exercise last night :( I had company over and all I had time for was grocery shopping and cooking for everyone. I have to say, I really enjoyed cooking, which I never thought I would. I think it helped that I got tons of compliments on how tasty it was :D

Dinner: small chicken breast with Ms. Dash table blends seasoning
less than 1/2 cup brown rice with a dash of garlic infused olive oil
green peppers, red peppers, zucchini and mushrooms sauteed in a bit of olive oil

The last time I ate really healthy I was forced to eat everything "dry." I couldn't use any seasonings or dressings or anything really - I had a plan from a "nutritionist." After 8 weeks of that I couldn't eat chicken for a year unless it was deep fried! But now that I use seasonings it makes all the difference in the world!

So here is meal plan for today - I already have it in lunch bag and am at work so I can't stray from this :)

breakfast - protein shake and banana
morning snack - small kiwi and 14 whole natural almonds
lunch - 2 slices whole grain bread with natural deli turkey, 1 slice low fat cheese and 1 tbsp light mayo (normally would have used mustard instead but it was expired - didn't notice before I went shopping)
afternoon snack - 1 cup celery with 1 tbsp peanut butter

Dinner could be a challenge. It is mom's birthday so we will be getting Chinese at her request. Plus we made her favorite cake - german chocolate. Hopefully I can stay away from that and eat chicken leftovers when I get home instead! Otherwise I may just do some of the chicken, brocolli adn mushrooms on rice from the Chinese. I know, tons of sodium - we'll see how good will power is tonight!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

I was having such a good morning today. I finally got house stocked with healthy foods and I learned that I really don't mind cooking (cleaning up is a different story!). And I have lost 17.2 pounds. So I have just been so happy today! Then mom called me at work to ask me a question and I told her how much I have lost so far. All she said was - oh, really, Joel lost 30 pounds and Jackie lost 35. Joel is brother-in-law and Jackie is sister. Joel has been starving himself for a competition and Jackie has had her mouth wired shut since December 16th after a jaw surgery. And I know they will both gain it back right away. But it really made me feel like crap.

I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but mom hasn't once told me I am looking good, but when she saw Joel she told him over and over how good he was looking. I have put in so much work to take this weight off and then to get shoved aside really hurts. And I have to say I am glad I don't have junk food around because I am an emotional eater and I would probably start eating right now.

I am just getting down right now - sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it if nobody is even going to notice - but I notice, I guess that's all that matters. But it would still be nice to get a compliment, especially from own mother.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

deleted
Last edited by musculargirl on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Thanks - I have never been one to fish for compliments, but she didn't even say great job or anything, she just acted like I didn't say anything. I need to get over it so I don't get myself so down that I start eating again! I just got a whole boat-load of Girl Scout cookies that I bought from nieces in December so they are at home calling name! Tonight I am going to take them over to neighbors so they aren't in house! The neighbor kids helped me shovel a few times this winter and I didn't even have to ask - they just knew how busy I was so they wanted to help - such sweet kids! So this is something I can do to pay them back!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

You know what, thanks - I needed that :) I thought I was the only one who spurted out quotes to cheer people up! I have them posted all over - guess sometimes I need a taste of own medicine! I am going to try to use this as motivation to keep going instead of letting it hold me back!

So slight change of plans for lunch. I just found out that a close friend of mine got a new job and is suddenly moving at the end of the week. We are meeting for Chinese :( So I am going to save sandwich and have the brocolli and beef with just a little steamed rice (better than fried, I guess!). Wow, I can't believe how many calories are in steamed rice! I looked at the website for their nutrition info.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

I'm really sorry your mom did not give you a positive response. Please don't let it affect you now. You are doing great.
I'm really proud and excited for you that you have "embraced" cooking and have chosen some really healthy options for meals. Mrs. Dash is great stuff! :D
If you will stay connected with us here, you will find much support and positive feedback. Remember we are all in this together and are all in various stages of our own weight loss journeys, we support, encourage, cheer on, celebrate each others achievements big or small. :D
Great idea on giving the girlscout cookies to the neighbor kids! Again, keep making those small decisions to choose healthy options, you will reap the benefits.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Wow, I guess I should stop feeling sorry for myself! I can't ever imagine mom calling me fat or telling me I look pregnant! She basically just ignores me and focuses her attention on "angelic" brother-in-law! I am generally a very positive person but mom has this way of getting to me :x

Thanks everyone! A few weeks ago this probably would have gotten me so down I would have given up - I really appreciate the support :D