P90X

Post your reviews on fitness products and clothing.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Re: P90X

Post by PandorasVise »

I am usually not one for infomercials, especially since I don't have TV. No cable or satalite and we live to far from the cities for getting tv over the air. I read from someone about ChaLean (same company) and tried it out. I have to say, it was as brutal as you wanted it to be. I did two rounds of it. Then I moved on to Insanity (another beachbody program) and I loved that for a whole different reason. I think it gave me stamina. I can fight for a lot longer now. I am currently in week 4 for p90x. I like that too.

With each of these programs, you do new videos each month, to hit muscle groups in a different way.

With all the programs, i had a few complaints. With p90x there is only one exersice i don't like the mechanics of. I also don't really like the yoga. It is brutal. Your legs are screaming, and then the next day on the schedule is legs and back. Too much legs too close together. I don't do the yoga, i sometimes will fit it in on Sunday. The cardio videos are really easy to follow.

What I love about ChaLean and p90x, it the worksheets. You write done everything you did, and next time you did it, you either up the weight (if needed) or beat your reps from the time before. I really love seeing the numbers go up.

Insanity is a bodyweight workout. Only need a yoga mat as equipment. Chalean you need a dumbbell set or bands and a band that wraps around your ankle. p90x, you need dumbbells or bands, a pull up bar, a chair, and a yoga matt.
sandiegofit
STARTING OUT

Post by sandiegofit »

MichelleDaniels wrote:P90X works great, husband has been exercising with the program for the last year or so and has seen some really incredible results. He has a better body now than he did when we first started dating back in our college days, but I'm careful not to mention that. :D

What I really like about the program is the fact that it is so well-rounded. They combine elements from a lot of different training methods into one program. Here is a breakdown of the workouts included on the DVD's: http://www.90dayworkoutplan.com/workouts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I decided to try it myself and started last week. Week one was absolutely brutal and I thought I was going to die! Will post back with results once I have something worth reporting. :)

Michelle
Michelle, did you end up dying? Because seems like death would really help with controlling the calorie intake (could make doing the exercises challenging though i suppose).
The P90x system has intrigued me for a long time ever since seeing the fabulous infomercial where everyone is ripped from head to toe ( ripped-ness stops right past the first knuckle of big toe and then picks up again just above eyebrows unfortunately).
As there is no reasonable place in home to install a pull up bar where I could still see the television and therefore follow along with the routine, I'm wondering how necessary a part of the program this is. In other words, can you get the benefit of the program still by omitting the pull up portion or is that an integral part of it? Any insight is appreciated but mostly just want to make sure Michelle did, in fact, live thru her first week.

Thanks all,
Drew
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

definatly need pull ups, but there is a band option where the band uses an attachment in a closed door and you can do 'pull downs' with it. I am using a lat bar myself. We only have 1 pull up bar and husband and I are doing it together. I try to increase the weight everyweek by 5 pounds.

band
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Patty, did you get that with P90x or did you order that separately? Do you have to attach something to the door to make the band work? Thanks.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

I don't have it, i think you need it seperate. I have a bar and use a chair or I use the lat bar.
sandiegofit
STARTING OUT

Post by sandiegofit »

That thing looks like a black lei with handles on it. Aloha, welcome to Hawaii, go do some pull ups.

:P
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

lol :lol:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Na nuu nuu nuu, na nuu nuu nuu, na nu nu nu nu nu nu nu na nuu. Naaa nuuuuuuu!!

:wink:
lynnbrwn
STARTING OUT

Post by lynnbrwn »

I don't trust infomercials. I think the best route is to just search the net for ab work outs or go to a gym and ask a personal trainer. I am not saying that all infomercial work out programs are a bust but all they want is your money so I say ask someone who actually cares about your health.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Always do some research and use your own savvy, it's as simple as, when it comes to things like Supplements, face products and hair products you're not sure of and don't trust any adverts, because any downsides to any product will only be discolsed when severe, or non-disclosure of facts might end up with a lot of lawsuits, from people falling victim to the downsides.

If the downsides are bent truths, or undisclosed things that represent minor risk to the public, disclosure could damage a products and even a companies rep, so there would be no point for them in disclosing such thing, even though it's techinically obtaining money by deceptions, I.E. if you fail to notify people Casein protein powder may cause some people bloating, becasue it may concern people who use it, but it should be disclosed and some people will in that example, but plenty of products comes with downsides that are minor and for marketing reasons get swept under the carpet.

It's not right but bending the truth, non-disclosure and misdirection, are common marketing ploys and get used all the time.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

i wouldn't trust most infomercials either. IF i could do it again, although i think p90x is a good program i probably wouldn't have bought it.
MarilynSuarez
STARTING OUT

Re:

Post by MarilynSuarez »

Dai wrote:dpends what you mean by seeing results. On average you will loose between 1-2lb a week so depending on how much you have to loose will depend how long it takes.

It doesn't matter what or who's exercise system you use you need to get the nutrition side of things right , it's 80% food 20% exercise no matter what type of exercise it is.

Ok lesson over I don't do p90x although I have the dvds, I do own execises but P90x is very good I've done one or two of the workouts just to mixup own training. At 158 pounds your abs won't take to long to show and the ab ripper (P90x) will definately do it for you. or do it on the cheap and get an ab wheel if it's only your abs your concerned about.

here is th eyou tube page on p90x do some research and make up your own mind before you buy.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =p90x&aq=f
Cool thanks for the tip! I'll check it out. I've been excited to try p90x but nervous that it might be to intense for me right now.
tray8804
STARTING OUT

Post by tray8804 »

If you stick to the workouts they give you P90X does work, but it does require a lot of equipment. I'm more partial to their Insanity workout which helps you lower your body fat and can easily be done at home if you have enough room to take four steps in either direction to your side (not for small apartments). If you want to bulk up P90X is the way to go, but if you want to slim down and get to a body fat percentage where you'd have a six pack, Insanity would probably be a better choice (or something like it).
daphne333
STARTING OUT

Post by daphne333 »

a friend of mine did the program minus most of the diet which is probably the biggest key. So her results were so-so.

However compared to other infomercial garbage, at least this on tells you straight up that it's going to be difficult and it's not overnight.

The training principles are solid. I can tell you I did a few days of it with her and I felt it.