Working out Barefoot?

Post your reviews on fitness products and clothing.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

digi95392
STARTING OUT

Working out Barefoot?

Post by digi95392 »

Hey guys,

I just started working out and running regularly, hoping to lose 15 pounds. I have been reading alot of stuff on barefoot running and I am thinking about buying some Vibram FiveFingers. I would like to go completely barefoot, but I dont think I am up to this yet, i still need some protection so I dont seriously injure myself. Does anyone here run or walk barefoot for fitness? Have you tried the FiveFingers? Let me know what you think.

If you haven't heard of FiveFingers before, check this page for a quick intro - http://www.fivefingerfootwear.com/post/ ... earcom-faq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Working out Barefoot?

Post by Boss Man »

Why do you think the barefoot running would help? After all good running shoes can provide shock absorption and protection from other things you might run over like small stones, bits of glass etc.
wonton04
STARTING OUT

Post by wonton04 »

I've read a little bit about it and it seems to help you run how "you are supposed to". Instead of a lot of shock on the heel, you get it on the middle or end of your foot and also less twisting of the knee during running. Basically to run how you are intended to...there are shoes that will block out running on stones and glass, but will still let you land on your foot how you are supposed to. I heard you need to warm up to it slowly, and not go for your 5mile run straight out bar foot though. Your feet will need to get accustomed to the new style.
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

A good friend of mine was running with those barefoot shoe things a few weeks ago and tore his achilles tendon... had to have surgery and the last time I saw him he was in a cast.

I'm a big fan of shoes but thats just me. :)
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

I do everything barefoot, except running outside and biking. At home, on th treadmill, i wear socks. I do all cardio videos and weight training barefoot. I hike barefoot alot too. There are too many things, on the ground for running outside, from rocks you don't see to someones broken glass. I do wear shoes that are very lightweight and feel almost like I am not wearing shoes. I have been wanting to try the five fingers, but frankly, they look so stupid. I see people walking around in them and I just shake head. Maybe I just need to get used to seeing them.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No those five finger things do look stupid. Seeing them more times, would either

A: Not make tham look less stupid.

B: Make them irritating to look at.

The same feelings you might get with Crocs :wink:.
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

crocs are worse than stupid looking. Actually I don't have a word to describe crocs. :?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's because a lot of other people have used all the good ones up, many times over :wink:
tray8804
STARTING OUT

Post by tray8804 »

I have a pair of these and I really like them for running outside. It's really killer on your calves, but it helps strengthen your legs differently than using running shoes. advice for running barefoot is to start slow and be wary of hills they can really mess you up if you don't run a lot and haven't run barefoot before in opinion.
Sunwarrior
STARTING OUT

Post by Sunwarrior »

tray8804 wrote:I have a pair of these and I really like them for running outside. It's really killer on your calves, but it helps strengthen your legs differently than using running shoes. advice for running barefoot is to start slow and be wary of hills they can really mess you up if you don't run a lot and haven't run barefoot before in opinion.
I have also had several pair of these barefoot shoes. It took me a while to find a pair that would not tear or break after a few runs. I have never tried the Vibram five fingers however I would not recommend Adidas Adipure or Fila Skeletoes 2 for excessive running or long jogs(anything over 20 miles a week).
The pair I have settled on is Pure. The soles wear down easily but it has not torn yet. I've had them for almost a year.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think those five finger ones look awful personally, but I don't go running so it's not a problem for me.
Sunwarrior
STARTING OUT

Post by Sunwarrior »

I really don't run as much as I used to anymore which I'm sure is the only reason that shoes have lasted this long. :wink:
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Tallgirll22T »

You may try an inbetweenie shoe like the Puma Mobium Elite, or try something that is just more lightweight like Under Armour's Micro G Toxic Six, Mizuno's (mizunousa.com) Wave, the Nike Free, Skechers GoRun 2, Newton Running Distance Weight Trainer, Altra's The One (altrazerodrop.com).
I recently asked a question on here about this because I hate wearing shoes. Blame it on country roots. I have delved into the subject and here is what I found:

Remember:
MINIMALIST RUNNING WORKS YOUR CALVES MORE, so it would be a good idea to focus on doing some calf workouts. Maybe try a 100 rep set leg workout including calves. (Do 2 sets of seated calf-raises, about 10-12 reps. I sit with feet flat on floor, then hold a 10 pound dumbell on each knee and raise to toes. On next set, I do 100 calf raises off a step. Only do this once every 2 weeks to recover properly, stretch afterwards, and go for long walks the next couple days cuz its gonna HURT!)

RUN OFF YOUR TOES. Big, chunky, more cushioned shoes tend to cause more heel strikes when running rather than off the toes. If you run off your heels, you cause more impact on your body, which is even worse if you weigh a lot. I find that I tend to pronate worse and have arch pain when I wear big clunky shoes when I weight train. I can hardly stand to kickbox in shoes; I'm used to yoga, so I find it hard to balance in shoes. However, I do wear the minimalist ones because I have issues with knee pain much of the time. I get a lightweight shoe with good arch support to run/walk in.

INCREASE YOUR STRIDES PER MINUTE. Try to take smaller steps as it helps your balance, control, and further minimizes impact.

KEEP IT SMOOTH. I wouldn't go out trail running or on gravel in minimalist or Vibram shoes. Try the barefoot/minimalist thing on the treadmill or smooth sidewalk.

DON'T GO ALL OUT TO START OUT. Ease into it. Don't run your regular routine the first time you try the new shoes. Go for a walk to start with, then jog with intervals, then run every other day etc. until you get used to it.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If someone is having few issues balancing in athletic shoes when weight training, then using powerlifting shoes might be the answer.

Personally I've never had an issue in that respect. In recent years I've worn things like Nike and Asics products with no concerns.

Sometimes for the more fuller style of training shoes, versus the more slimline ones, orthotics may be the answer for some or even an insole.

As for the calf training thing, it might work for some just doing 2 sets 3x a week, or 3 sets 2x a week, using an 8-12 rep mentality, depending on whether you're doing a TBT system or 4 day split.

On a 5 day split do the full 6 sets on a leg training workout.

Definitely though when doing a 100 rep calf exercise, maxing for 100 reps, don't use a frequency of more than once every 2-4 weeks.

There is a decent variation of seated calf raises, where you can use a hamstring curl machine, because you can rest the foot rest on your knees and dorsi-flex the feet to work the selected weight level, however this really only works if it's a lying down one. If it's the upright kind like a nautilus machine, you can't do what I said as I don't think it's possible.

Personally I go for a standing variation, usually on a smith machine, but sometimes in the past I have done walking ones, but not for many years now.

It might even be possible to do them with one of those weight belts, that has a chain that you can attach a dumbell or disc to, as then all you need is something like a step, plank of wood or maybe even a large weight disc to do standing raises.

Another option is a calf machine if a persons gym has one.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Boss Man wrote:If someone is having few issues balancing in athletic shoes when weight training, then using powerlifting shoes might be the answer.

Personally I've never had an issue in that respect. In recent years I've worn things like Nike and Asics products with no concerns.

Sometimes for the more fuller style of training shoes, versus the more slimline ones, orthotics may be the answer for some or even an insole.

As for the calf training thing, it might work for some just doing 2 sets 3x a week, or 3 sets 2x a week, using an 8-12 rep mentality, depending on whether you're doing a TBT system or 4 day split.

On a 5 day split do the full 6 sets on a leg training workout.

Definitely though when doing a 100 rep calf exercise, maxing for 100 reps, don't use a frequency of more than once every 2-4 weeks.

There is a decent variation of seated calf raises, where you can use a hamstring curl machine, because you can rest the foot rest on your knees and dorsi-flex the feet to work the selected weight level, however this really only works if it's a lying down one. If it's the upright kind like a nautilus machine, you can't do what I said as I don't think it's possible.

Personally I go for a standing variation, usually on a smith machine, but sometimes in the past I have done walking ones, but not for many years now.

It might even be possible to do them with one of those weight belts, that has a chain that you can attach a dumbell or disc to, as then all you need is something like a step, plank of wood or maybe even a large weight disc to do standing raises.

Another option is a calf machine if a persons gym has one.

Plus, the powelifter shoes look so much cooler than the five finger "geeky" ones!@ :twisted: :wink: