Treadmills

Post your reviews on fitness products and clothing.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

feelin-great
VETERAN

Treadmills

Post by feelin-great »

I am considering buying a treadmill - as strange as this may sound to some, I really loved running on the treadmill when I was on vacation! I know most people hate them, but I found that I worked a lot harder when I ran on it as compared to outside. Also, living in Wisconsin can be pretty hit and miss on when I can actually run outside.

concern is the cost. I know they come in a wide range of price points but from what I have read, if I really want to run on one I should get a higher priced model, starting at around $2,000. Can anybody give me advice on this? I would hate to buy a less expensive one and then have it wear out on me right away.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Treadmills

Post by fitoverforty »

I have owned quite a few treadmills over the years and have learned a few things about what to buy and what not to buy. The qualities you are searching for in a treadmill, will be something along the lines of a quiet motor, a cushioned deck, a stable tread, motorized, etc., and they usually cost upwards of $1000 or more. There are cheaper treadmills out there , but you have to be careful of the quality and durability. Make sure it has a belt & motor warranty of at least 2 years. Try to find one with a running surface of at least 18 to 20" wide & 50 to 60" long. The more wear and tear you plan to put on one, the more quality you need. You don't want to have to be replacing one every year or so - been there done that!
I bought a treadmill once at a major dept. store chain for around $400, and within months, the tread would slide over to the side & I would have to manually roll it back to correct position, the belt would slip while I was running and it was literally falling apart around me, screws falling out, etc.
The treadmill I own now is a Reebok RX 4000 and I bought it used from a friend - 9 years ago and it is still going strong! So, you're best bet is to research online and visit some Specialty Fitness stores that specialize in exercise equipment. You might find some discount or closeout specials online too.
Here is a link for some treadmill reviews and info: http://www.treadmill-ratings-n-reviews.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck in your search!!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Awesome, thanks Lynne! I was reading that I should plan to spend no less than $2000 so this was good to hear. It's nice to have some good info in mind before I go to the fitness store because I would be the dummy that falls for the "you need this $3000 model." Thanks for the info :D
Red400
STARTING OUT

Post by Red400 »

You can get a quality treadmill in the 1-2K range. Check out these models http://www.buckeyefitness.com/treadmills.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The Fitnex, Best Fitness and Endurance brands are all backed with excellent warranties and are all quality models. Best Fitness and Endurance are made by Body Solid which is a great company with quality products all the way around.
HCaH
STARTING OUT

Post by HCaH »

Hi there,

Investing in your own equipment is always a good plan as overall you do spend alot less money than you think and it does pay for itself if you get the use from it, i know a good company (it is in England but I'm sure they ship for good rates) that do ex-commercial equipment so you could easily be inside your price range for serious bit of kit. Their site is http://www.healthclubsathome.com

I hope you find what you are looking for! good hunting! :D