Yoga

Post important and accurate fitness articles, reference materials, research studies and findings here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

timtimtimmah19
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Yoga

Post by timtimtimmah19 »

So I'm a relatively flexible person, which has helped me immensely thus far in athletics. However, I'm trying to involve myself in yoga, at least at an amateur level. Does anyone have any good sites for some simple yoga routines that I could do without any other instruction? If you could post them that would be great. Thanks!
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

if you're already flexible thwn ehy do yoga? it seems like a waste of time
timtimtimmah19
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by timtimtimmah19 »

Just something new to keep me interested because normal stretching gets boring very easily.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

you can always stretch btw wt sets (hip flexors btw deadlift/squat sets, chest btw back sets etc) so it doesn't take up more time
timtimtimmah19
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by timtimtimmah19 »

i thought that stretching before or during lifts could have negative effects on your lift though? I could definately be wrong...
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

stretching does that but only if your stretching the same areas you're training...strecthing opposite muscles to the one's your training actually increases your strength potential
jusme
STARTING OUT

Post by jusme »

i loooooooooooove doing yoga! i actually do the routines on fit tv called namaste yoga its great;i do it on Tuesday Thursday same days i do hiit and i'm considering doing it on Saturday too. i just love the flexibility i get from it and the relaxation.
i just started weight training but been doing yoga for about 2 yrs off and on! i enjoyed it during pregnancy as well. when i first started on yoga i bought the yoga for beginners by gaiam and that was routine for a while!

you can go to youtube put in namaste yoga and get a preview of it!
steveabode
STARTING OUT

Post by steveabode »

swanso5 wrote:if you're already flexible thwn ehy do yoga? it seems like a waste of time
With all due respect that is not a researched or informed opinion of one of the finest spiritual, balancing, strengthening forms of exercise done by man. Shame because your other posts are normally quite factual and sensible. Nothing personal you understand- have you at least tried yoga?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

mate your an athlete or at least an athlete's coach...dynamic over static flexibility every day of the week for me....i'm not totally against it but it isn't very efficient in book...the odd move can be useful but an hour of slow, static holds etc....there's a better way to spend your hour i think
steveabode
STARTING OUT

RE:

Post by steveabode »

HI Bud

Fair comment. When we train however- specifically with something as demanding as javelin- probably analogous to Aussie Rules for range of motion- there is a specific need to train the body to move outside it's normal range of motion, ie. when a guy or girl goes up for a high ball- be it rules or basketball, cricket or rugger then there is a chance that the take-off has been slightly out of line and the landing may be on one leg, at a funny angle- or even deflected by an opponent (we get the AFL on Setanta Sports over here- they're nutters!) then the landing could be outside of the "comfort" zone that is reached by dynamic exercises. Javelin throwing is similar as the arm or legs can get into some strange angles within the strike strides. point about Yoga and very much also Pilates is that they push the body beyond the expected range- more than a normal post match stretch- and as such give the athlete a definite boon in terms of how the body can react to freaky situations. The guy above who posted said he was an athlete and in coaching experience we have always said to people to try increasing their flexibility through things like yoga etc... apart from one rather naive girl who asked her dad if she could do yoga- he said "No Emma- we're Christians!"
steveabode
STARTING OUT

Re: Yoga

Post by steveabode »

timtimtimmah19 wrote:So I'm a relatively flexible person, which has helped me immensely thus far in athletics. However, I'm trying to involve myself in yoga, at least at an amateur level. Does anyone have any good sites for some simple yoga routines that I could do without any other instruction? If you could post them that would be great. Thanks!

TimmyJimmyTimmyJimmy- try downloading some Barbara Currie from Limewire or somewhere- she's 55 and makes me feel old! Also the two girls in her vids are not bad lookers!

Cheers
Steve
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

why not dynamically stretch out of the "comfortable" range of motiom?? i just don't see any carryover from static stretching to dynamic stretching....yoga also often promotes hypermobility in joints that need stability too
steveabode
STARTING OUT

re

Post by steveabode »

I think there's also the definite feeling of wellbeing that Yoga can promote too- something that has been popular in some of the most densely populated areas of the world for literally millennia should be respected and adopted into our supposedly "superior" scientific approach to everything- yoga balances and enhances the body- simple as that.
The point about hypermobility is well taken.

This discussion was started by a guy who like Yoga and knows for a fact that it has enhanced his athletic performance. At the low to middle range of endeavour any flexibility training is bound to be of a positive nature and Yoga is in there as a good one.

Perhaps we are creeping into elite territory where specific actions can have huge effect due to highly specific effects within tight tolerences. Hypermobility will not affect an average athlete due to the constraints that the body will naturally place on exercise.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

i'm all for the well being part...

i don't care who tyou, sooner or later hypermobile joints that should be stable will end in injury sooner or later and it's job to prevent that
steveabode
STARTING OUT

so

Post by steveabode »

good for you. I know for a fact that flexibility is a key to preventing injuries in dynamically vigourous sports and that for the type of people using this site, such as a guy who does a bit of yoga to complement his training then it's fine. To say that Yoga is useless is as misinforming as pushing it as a cure all. It seems that you are taking comments to the extreme- surely outside the remit of an amateur forum on fitness training.