working around a pinched ulnar nerve

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

working around a pinched ulnar nerve

Post by OfficeGirl »

Hello there,
I need some suggestions for working around a pinched ulnar nerve. that's the funny bone nerve; it goes from the elbow all the way into the ring and pinky fingers. it's just right arm. I usually use free weights to lift for workouts. So this week, I'm due for a rest week with light workouts anyway, but I'm looking for ways to keep arm healthy and continue to gain muscle when I get back to it next week. I'll be using the machines for leg press, quad extensions and the hamstring one as well. I think it's the heavy weights just hanging from hands that's making the problem worse. Do you think I should use the machines and then use the dumbbells for dead lift, or just skip the dead lift all together for now? I'm concerned about glutes, since it's a problem area for me. I don't want to lose what I've gained so far.
I'm not overly concerned about upper body lifts. I don't think they're heavy enough to cause any issues, since I'm still kind of a beginner. Can I still do pushups and planks?
If I have to leave off the dead lift, what other exercises can I do instead? I appreciate all ideas and suggestions. :thumb:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: working around a pinched ulnar nerve

Post by Boss Man »

You could try the pushups and planks, but if it hurts stop immediately.

As for the deadlifts, you can do good mornings for lower back as an alternative to deadlifts.

The alternative is cutting down a bit on the weights, use maybe 25% less weight non deadlifts and see if that helps the problem and the same could apply to other arm exercises too.

You might if you haven't already need to consult a physician and just be sure it is what you think it is. You can have something for nerve transmission called an NCV, (Nerve Conduction Velocity), test, where an electrical pad pings a signal into the nerve and a second pad acquires the physical information relating to the nerve transmission.

You may also find you have carpal tunnel syndrome, which would potentially affect the ulna nerve and an NCV could be used to ascertain the problem.
OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Post by OfficeGirl »

Hi Boss Man,
I should have said that I've been to the doctor for this diagnosis. It's work-related, so they sent me in to be seen. I was given exercises and stretches to help relax the muscles and relieve tension on the nerve.
I will look up those good mornings and proceed with caution.
Thank you!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well that's good to know you've been tested and I hope things work out for you. Anything else you want to ask and any other support you want let us know anytime :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I hope you get this cured asap!! :D I pinched a nerve in back last year, so I know how uncomfortable something like this can be.
OfficeGirl
STARTING OUT

Post by OfficeGirl »

I'm several weeks into the therapy exercises, and I'm feeling much better! I have modified leg day so the weights dont hang off arms, and that has helped as well. The good mornings are hard on right knee though, any thoughts there? I'm only doing about 40lb for that. I'm trying hard to keep knees from pulling inward as I lift up. I'm struggling a bit.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

One alternative to good mornings would be free bar deadlifts, as you're trying to hit the lower erectors, lower multifidus and quadratus, so those will do the trick.

Alternatively there's romanian deadlifts, whee it's the same kind of movement as good mornings, but the weight stays in front of your body not on the upper back.

The good mornings should be done with stiff legs anyway, so maybe there's a slight issue there, if you're been doing with with slightly bent legs, as that's not what is mean to happen.

However you've got a couple of alternatives there which might work for you and it's good to know you've worked around your problem and not let it prevent you doing what you want to do. You've been clever there and you should be proud of yourself, because it's a positive statement about your mentality :).