Is this excessive leg training?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mtbfan101
STARTING OUT

Is this excessive leg training?

Post by mtbfan101 »

Hey everyone,

Of late, I have changed goals for fitness. I, for reasons unclear to me, have had a desire to increase sprint speed and overall agility. The only thing I am worried about is over training on legs. Would you say this is too much:

(very generalized map of routine)

Monday, Wednesday, Friday==> Full Body workouts. I train legs harder on Monday and Friday than I do on Wednesday.
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday==> Training sprints. I don't do HIIT for this, since form and explosiveness are key in current phase of training(not to say HIIT isn't explosive). Also, I have sworn away HIIT because I have had some heart issues in the past. I don't want to over do it.
Sunday==> Mountain biking or light cardio.

only fear is that legs aren't getting enough time to recover properly. I figured I would see what you guys think about this matter.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Is this excessive leg training?

Post by Boss Man »

Too much. Take out a mountain biking session and a Sprints session.

you could od this sort of thing.

Day 1. TBT

Day 2. Sprints

Day 3. TBT

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Sprints

Day 6. TBT

Day 7. Day off.

This gives you no more than 3 days straight of training and more rest. You could do the 2 days off back to back but then that means 5 days straight and your body might possibly start getting used to the 2 days of nothing and your fitness could possibly fitness taper off a bit, causing you to be playing catchup when you trained again.

Having 1 day off 2x a week split, shouldn't eat into progress, but aid recovery.