any tips for a newbie please

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

jade_2013
STARTING OUT

any tips for a newbie please

Post by jade_2013 »

I have started the gym recentley, I haven't got myself into a routine yet as I am unsure on what to do , I have looked online and they're are a lot of mixed messages . ain is to mainly tone as I don't think I'm really fat , but I want to try and lose a few pounds aswell , as I'm currently size 12 and would like to be a size 10.

Any tips or gym routines would be appreciated

I am currently going to the gym twice a week and doing 30mins cardio on the treadmill and stepper. I then do 30-40mins of weights. 3 lots of 10 high weight reps.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: any tips for a newbie please

Post by Boss Man »

What foods do you eat and what times do you eat them?
ultimatehlth
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ultimatehlth »

I would pick 10 exercises max to work out the full body. Example chest press, lat pull-downs, chest flys, rows, seated shoulder press, face-pulls, (squats, deadlifts, lunges or leg press) for lower body followed by jumping jacks, (crunches, reverse crunches till they burn)in that order. Start with 2 circuits work toward 3. Take it slow and light the first few workouts gradually going heavier (what ever you can handle for 8-12 reps) and faster (less rest between exercises, 2 minutes between circuits).
Best,
Last edited by ultimatehlth on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jade_2013
STARTING OUT

Post by jade_2013 »

diet isint great . I don't really eat brekfast as I don't have big appetite that early . Lunch is normally soup. And then dinner .... Varies ... But usually a big portion of whatever it is . I do snack a lot at night . Tea and biscuits . Which obviosly doesn't help.

Iv been told by one person to go to the gym every other day and do cardio and the weight reps and circuits .

But somebody else said go everyday monday to friday . Do cardio everyday but with the weights and circuits focus on one body part for example legs on monday , arms and shoulders tuesday and so forth

Really new to all this so not sure . gym don't do plans either unless you pay and I wouldn't trust the PTs in there as they are all about 18 years old . So worry if they know .
FitLadyLove
STARTING OUT

Post by FitLadyLove »

First off, congrats on starting up at the gym! Give yourself a pat on the back ;)

As far as tips, I currently go to a gym but I recently started Les Mills Pump and I've been loving it! goal is slightly similar to yours, where I just really need to tone up but I wouldn't mind dropping 5-10lbs as well. I've found great results so far and definitely recommend checking it out if you are interested in another program. Here is the site for reference: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitnes ... workout.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You had said you are doing 30mins cardio on the treadmill and stepper - great! To boost that up for extra toning, have you thought about doing intervals? I've been following this on Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/just4funkidz/treadmill-workout/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and its been a great cardio boost. The weights look good too.

Also - whats your eating plan? In order to tone up and lose a few pounds - meal plan has to match up as well, which I'm sure you already know!
CardioGpa
STARTING OUT

Post by CardioGpa »

I think you'd be better off doing the weight training before your cardio. You won't be as tired and will likely be able to lift heavier..

And pace yourself, it's a long journey
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good call.

Some say cardio doesn't affect them when their lifting, but it might for some, so doing it after would be beneficial.

There are 4 ways to incorporate cardio with weights, which could be listed from best to worst.

1. Weights one day, cardio the next.

2. Weights followed several hours later by cardio.

3. Weights followed by cardio

4. cardio before weights.
CardioGpa
STARTING OUT

Post by CardioGpa »

So what are your thought on this theory? ..

That an intense weight lifting w/o uses up your stored glycogen, so that a low intensity cardio sesh leaves your body with no choice but to burn fat only for the energy it needs.

Not trying to make this into rocket science, but I've read this and used it in some of cutting phases and .. I dunno, it seemed to make sense.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes, what you are saying sounds rational.

The body has a lack of carbohydrate for energy so therefore it could source secondary energy, (fat), as a way to fuel itself some more.

One risk though is you could also burn muscle, dependant on protein intake prior to workouts and the length of time before workouts you have any.

Some people have reported an ammonia like smell eminating from them, which is usually when muscle burning may be occuring during exercise.

There are other things that may result, which are that if you used oxygen stores quite heavily without adequate replenishment whilst using glycogen, you could invoke lactic acid production, (the burn), A.K.A. anaerobic respiration.

Lacitc is relatively harmless and ends up dissolving in the liver so I believe.

You coul also produce something called ethyl alcohol through this anaerobic process too, as you would be instigating a kind of fermenting process, similar to a brewing process.

Neither of those are serious concerns though, however if you're also eluding to training on empty then the answer is no.

This can cause potential muscle burning and people have reported struggling to complete workouts, previously coped with and in other instances some people end up with dizzy spells too, which is logical, as doing bloodsugar lowering things when your bloodsugar is low, doesn't make much sense to me.
CleanScience
STARTING OUT

Post by CleanScience »

ultimatehlth wrote:I would pick 10 exercises max to work out the full body. Example chest press, lat pull-downs, chest flys, rows, seated shoulder press, face-pulls, (squats, deadlifts, lunges or leg press) for lower body followed by jumping jacks, (crunches, reverse crunches till they burn)in that order. Start with 2 circuits work toward 3. Take it slow and light the first few workouts gradually going heavier (what ever you can handle for 8-12 reps) and faster (less rest between exercises, 2 minutes between circuits).
Best,

Los Angeles Personal Trainer Hollywood
If you are BRAND NEW to the gym and working out, this is a great idea. Keep in mind, in this lifestyle there are levels. What works for a beginner, might not work for intermediate or advanced. For beginners, this is a great idea. Once you hit a stall, you can post back about diet. Then once that is under control and you hit a stall again, you can go into more advanced exercise routines.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Don't forget your diet, very very important... if you are only looking to lose a little fat but gain some muscle and "tone up" then you will need between 2,000 - 2,320 calories a day. (this is based on 3-5 days of moderately heavy exercise.

so something like
Day 1 - weights
Day 2 - Cardio
Day 3 - weights
Day 4 - rest
Day 5 - weights
Day 6 - Cardio
Day 7 - rest

how this falls from Monday to Sunday would be how works best for you. This avoids the 2 days off and hard to get up and go to gym or hard to do the exercise cause you just feel lethargic or whatever the excuses can be :D

Try for 4-8 meals a day. I run on 4 which works great for me, a lot of others work on 6, 8 meals are usually professional athletes. Every time you eat, regardless of what it is, is a meal. You will eat better if you track everything you eat and how much and you can see your results for workouts if you record what you do and how much. Keeping a food and exercise diaries are great ways to be honest with yourself and shows where you lose results or gain them.

Avoiding any breakfast is not good, especially when working out. Your body needs those nutrients to grow muscles and cells, repair them and give you energy. If anything you injest is a meal, than an orange and a pc of cheese can be called breakfast or a glass of milk and a banana, or 1/2 cup of oatmeal with dried cranberries and a tsp of honey mixed in, a hardboiled egg and an apple... the list goes on. Lean to more fruits in the morning and veggies in the afternoon and evening. Try for a protein choice every meal. And aim for 2 L minimum of water a day.

I hope this helps ;)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Breakfast is the best meal of the day and the people who aren't getting it, literally aren't getting it in regards to how beneficial it is.

They're people who are seriously missing out :).
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Boss Man wrote:Breakfast is the best meal of the day and the people who aren't getting it, literally aren't getting it in regards to how beneficial it is.

They're people who are seriously missing out :).

Agree! Breakfast sets the tone for the whole day and is super important especially when dieting and lifting.

Oatmeal, eggs, fresh fruit etc...all great choices.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

favorite breakfast is

a banana
an orange or an apple
a piece of cheese
a hard boiled egg
and a yogurt cup
500ml water

then mid morning I like

1/2 cup oatmeal with
ounce of dried cranberries
ounce of raw seeds (sunflower or pumpkin)
teaspoon of honey
an orange or apple (which ever I did not have for breakfast)
a glass of milk

two of favorite filling yet not heavy meals that taste great!
Levofitness.com
STARTING OUT

Post by Levofitness.com »

If your goal is just to get toned and fit you are on the right track with a 3sets of 10 routine. The idea of doing both cardio and weights is great, but there are a few issues to consider. The biggest issue I see is that you are going to be stuck in the gym 1-2hours per day 6 days per week alternating upper body and lower body weights plus light medium or heavy cardio.

I'm not sure how long anyone can sustain this!

I agree with many of the other posts about needing a solid diet plan. I suggest learning everything you possibly can about low glycemic eating. This will stop fat storage from carbs and make it much easier to maintain your progress. I teach this to all of our clients.

Once you master this it's no big deal to cut the cardio out all together and just hit the weights unless you need the running and endurance specifically for your sport.

Get enough carb pre workout to make sure you don't bonk!

Let me know if I can help!

-stay inspired!

Ian