Dirty bulk

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Ryanharvey
STARTING OUT

Dirty bulk

Post by Ryanharvey »

Image so iv been dirty bulking for months. Working out and eating tons, arms are bigger and so is chest. I look fatter to but I like the size. Should I keep bulking or should I cut before I get too fat? http://s176.photobucket.com/user/ryanha ... sort=3&o=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Dirty bulk

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Ryan good to talk to you.

Yes, definitely cut. Dirty bulking isn't a great way to bulk but definitely cut.
Ryanharvey
STARTING OUT

Post by Ryanharvey »

Okay, I'll probably cut about 5 or 10lbs and then continue bulking
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

this can't be serious can it? if so then aim for a lot higher then a 5 - 10pd loss
Ryanharvey
STARTING OUT

Post by Ryanharvey »

Well I was thinking about continuing to bulk. I thought 10lbs would be okay. What should I be aiming for?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

honesty is one of strong points so in that vain I can't see even 1 reason for you to bulk for at least 6 months with that excess...get rid of that then think about it
Ryanharvey
STARTING OUT

Post by Ryanharvey »

I guess I do need to lose , chest has really improved since weight gain though. I guess I just gained a little too much.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Her's a simple way to try and shred a bit more.

Take 10g of carbs from each meal and replace the calories with healthy fats. The body the encounters a situation where it's energy requirements are not sustained by carbs and it should source more fat as fat is a secondary energy source.

You should affect muscle mass to any significant amount if any as you're altering the ratio of calories and macros, you're not cutting your calories or your protein.

If you attempted to arrest the side issue(s) associated with your dirty bulk, by doing some or more cardio instead, or in addition to what I said, based on current cardio levels, you could risk burning / losing some muscle and as added muscle can help to burn fat, losing it would be counterproductive.

Plus if you made just one change to how you currently do things, you could isolate fairly easily understand the effect(s) of that change.
Ryanharvey
STARTING OUT

Post by Ryanharvey »

Iv never dieted before iv always ate what I wanted and worked out. I think I might struggle
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

mate you don't have to diet, you just need to make conscious efforts about your food choices

if it's not 'real' food then don't eat it
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Ryanharvey wrote:Iv never dieted before iv always ate what I wanted and worked out. I think I might struggle
The beauty is though, you're not making wholesale changes with the suggestions I said. You're keeping protein the same but changing the ratio of fats and carbs, not cutting back on calories.

The only thing then is to make a conscious effort with some of your food choice, but it doesn't have to mean a complete rethink or overhaul of things.
VinzB
STARTING OUT

Post by VinzB »

Hey Ryan,

I don't you can reap as much benefit in working out when you're not eating appropriately. Proper nutrition will boost your results as well as enough rest.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Please don't take this wrong, but why would you want to ADD more fat on at this point?