Muscular Legs with Bad Knees

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mantics
STARTING OUT

Muscular Legs with Bad Knees

Post by mantics »

I'm a former college athlete and now that I've finished grad school I want to spend more time getting back the fitness I once had. I was a runner for about 14 years, so knees are ruined sadly. I can do squats without pain if form is perfect but lunges in any direction always gives me pain. Just wanted to know any workout suggestions for getting back runner legs! Mostly the upper thigh/butt area. I still have the muscle its just surrounded by fat, but whenever I try to do an intense leg workout I get pain and just stop.

I'm planning on running a few miles 3x a week and doing strength workouts around that. Also I only have access to free weights. Any tips would be helpful. Thanks!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Muscular Legs with Bad Knees

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Mantics, good to speak to you.

Well if the muscle is surrounded by fat as you say it is, then it sounds more like a dietary concern rather than a training one, so what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Biscuits
STARTING OUT

Post by Biscuits »

Defintely more of a dietary concern.

But the fact that you can do squats is great, because there is no exercise the is more well rounded for your legs than deep squats.
mantics
STARTING OUT

Post by mantics »

Really? I mean I know diet is involved because it has been total crap but I figured it was mostly strength training since I used to do it 3x a week and for the past 2 years I'm lucky if I even got to gym. For eating, I'm planning on just home cooked meals usually with chicken and salad or roasted veggies or pasta. Which will be a complete step up from daily fast food choices.

Soo I guess just go back to doing what I can physically and I should be back to where I was?

Thanks for the advice!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Strength will help to preserve muscle, but if you tweaked the diet you could lose fat, because although added muscle can help to burn fat, people still need a decent diet to

A: help build the muscle.

B: facilitate more fat burning.

It actually takes a reduction of 3,500 calories a week, to allow 1lb of fat loss per week.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

I agree with Bossman, diet is VERY IMPORTANT. Good fats are also a major plus in opinion, to keep the joints well oiled and feeling good.