How to increase reps when the exercises never get easier

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

yankeepoodle
STARTING OUT

How to increase reps when the exercises never get easier

Post by yankeepoodle »

I am female and have been doing various arm exercises 3x a week for months. I've basically settled into a routine I like in the last 2 months. I usually do it Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Usually consists of pushups, tricep dips, and on the Total Gym - tricep extensions and bicep curls. dilemma is the same every time I have had a workout routine - how to see improvement in reps / ability. The exercises never get easier. I do 3 sets of 10 on the Total Gym exercises, with usually 30 seconds in between, and that's all I can do. How am I supposed to get better? Is it about increasing the reps or increasing the weight?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How to increase reps when the exercises never get easier

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Yankee, good to talk to you.

Firstly you need a workout that works all over the body which includes the legs as well as the lower back. The workout you're describing, does not seem to address this fully.

The two issues you may have is lack of resistance and also improvement in areas, that you may not be targeting.

You also would need to have an adequate dietary intake, otherwise you would have very limited ability to build any muscle and females have it harder than guys on that basis, because of the levels of muscle building hormones, that are reduced in females, as even normal testosterone levels, need to be around 4 times higher the usual upper limit for females, to avoid heart attack risks.

This sort of workout would work better for you

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Deadlifts, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bench press, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

You would do that 3x a week every other day.

In terms of what to use, the squats, lunges, deadlifts and bent over rows would use the smallest barbell you can use. The bench press, the second smallest dumbbells you can use and the smallest dumbbells you can use for shrugs.

You would increase these weights every two weeks, until you should be hitting around 95% of maximum lift potential for 10 reps. You need not go to failure, that is to say trying to push every last rep out until you either just get it, or just can't as that wastes energy and is not necessary.

Also you might experience something called DOMS, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, which can occur within 24 hours of a workout and is not a problem, except that your muscles feel like you want to rub them.

In this case you could try to alleviate the issue with a bit of stretching and cardio for around 10 minutes in total at the end of workouts.

As for the diet, what times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Oksana Slavska
STARTING OUT

Post by Oksana Slavska »

Hello Yankeepoodle!
If you can't do more reps, so don't do them. Your body didn't adapt to exercise, so still produce enough cortisol and adrenaline. It is enough to be in shape.
As soon as you feel that this exercises are not effective, do more reps or change the exercise.
Also I agree with Boss Man. You need pay attention to your lower body as well.
triathlondaddy
STARTING OUT

Post by triathlondaddy »

Vary the curls and extensions yo do to excercise different parts of the bicep or tricep. You will grow the muscle overall and then be able to lift more - it'll also look better!

http://www.triathlondaddy.com
yankeepoodle
STARTING OUT

Post by yankeepoodle »

Thanks for the replies. Boss Man, I can't exercise like that. I have tried to make a more extensive routine for myself - I don't stick with it. The motivation is not there. I HATE exercising. But the few exercises I do do, I would like to see improvement at some point.

Triathlondaddy, when you say "Vary the curls and extensions," you mean do them on different days instead of the same day? I used to do that.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well you could get more motivation by training with a friend, relative, neighbour, work colleague or by listening to something like an Ipod.
yankeepoodle
STARTING OUT

Post by yankeepoodle »

Possibly...but I don't have the energy either.
So apparently nobody else who's had this problem is reading this. I guess everyone's situation is different and I would need to talk to someone who knows exact situation.
Appreciate everyone's input.