Left Pec Bigger Than the Right One

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

taranjeet96
STARTING OUT

Left Pec Bigger Than the Right One

Post by taranjeet96 »

Hey, i saw your the hand dumbbell press thing and actually i wanted to ask whether i should do more left (single)hand dumbbell bench press more or right (single)hand dumbbell bench press more ? Actually left pec seems bigger than the right one and i actually am confused that if i do right hand dumbbell press, then left chest will grow or right ? i want to even it out and im a right handed but dont know why is right pec lower than weaker side :( please give me a solution .
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Left Pec Bigger Than the Right One

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Taranjeet, good to talk to you.

What exercises have you being doing for the chest specifically?
taranjeet96
STARTING OUT

Post by taranjeet96 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Taranjeet, good to talk to you.

What exercises have you being doing for the chest specifically?
i have been doing db bench presses , chest fly , pushups for chest routine
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

One thing I could suggest is check the push-up technique, as you might have one arm slightly further out from your side than the other, which would create a slightly different emphasis on on side of your body than the other, if you have one arm with a slightly wider positioning, or if you have been doing one handed pushups, consider doing them with the other hand for a while, and see if the pecs even out, then do two handed ones.

Although it is possible that the pec issue may just be down to genetics and there's not really much you can do about it.

The issue however may be being accentuated by certain other moves, like if you do olympic style moves, or you do military presses, because you're trying to target other areas, such as the back and shoulders, or possible from things like bent over rows, if you tend to move a barbell with one arm before the other, versus both at the same time, because you're creating a slight emphasis shift from one side of the body to the other.

You may have had an effect on the pec if you used to do cable crossovers, but you crossed the hands over rather than meeting them in the middle, because crossing over causes a slightly different emphasis on the one side, that wouldn't be negated if the same arm always ended up in front of the other, rather than alternating the arm that protruded in front, so that there was an equal number of reps where both arms protruded.

Often your problem can be proceeded by people doing things like chest press and barbell or smith machine benching, as one arm moves off first and the other becomes lazy and relies on it, thereby shifting the emphasis a little more onto one side, as I eluded to before and causing lopsided development of the pecs, which is something to be aware of, if you were thinking of such movements to try and correct your issue.