Muscle growth

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

sadchubbyguy
STARTING OUT

Muscle growth

Post by sadchubbyguy »

Hello

Im 20 y/o and im trying to lose weight. That works perfectly fine i lost 18kg in about 4 months and im fine with that progress. now im around 80kg and im somehow unhappy with body. So I decided to start a workout to grow some muscles, especially on arms and back. Any suggestions for a good workout?

Im totally new to this workout thing, i just want to look like i always wanted.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Muscle growth

Post by Boss Man »

Hi SCG, good to speak to you.

1. Do you workout at home or use equipment, or could you purchase any equipment if not.

2. Are you able to use a gym, which would be preferable.
sadchubbyguy
STARTING OUT

Post by sadchubbyguy »

Thanks for replying!

I have a little workout at home. I do 20 push up's, 20 squats, 40-60 sit up's and 20-25 reverse sit up's, 20 bysicles, 30s plank and 25-30 bridge's, 3 set's each.
i do also have a pull up bar, which i use for the sit ups atm because arms are too weak to do any pull ups.

im a student so budget is not very high but im willing to buy more (if possible not too expensive) equipment. Sadly im not able to go to the gym.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

This should work for you.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Vertical flyes, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks, 30 - 45 seconds

You increase the planks by 5 seconds a week until you can do around 90 seconds

You do this 3 times a week every other day
Dingo27
STARTING OUT

Post by Dingo27 »

Thanks. This has helped me too
jvcalia2
STARTING OUT

Post by jvcalia2 »

Push-ups and pull-ups are king for working on your upper body without any equipment. Look to vary your hand placement, as the width you choose will affect which muscles are primarily worked (eg pushups with your hands close to your body will work more of your triceps than a wider grip; same for close grip pull ups and your biceps). If you can't do a pull-up, start out working on hanging with your head over the bar, and seeing how long you can stay up. From that position, you can also work on trying to lower yourself as slowly as humanly possible. Both of these will help you build up the muscle to be able to do true pull-ups...then the real fun begins ;).

If you dont mind spending a little money, resistance bands are a great tool, and can be used to train your chest/back/arms (and can help you do assisted pull-ups while you work toward doing full pull-ups on your own).
AnthonyDee
STARTING OUT

Post by AnthonyDee »

There's a good guide here on how to set up each of the training variables for muscle growth.

There's also a sample workout at the end.

https://myoleanfitness.com/build-muscle ... -training/