Training frequency, advice on new routine

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

static_jacket
STARTING OUT

Training frequency, advice on new routine

Post by static_jacket »

I had Bossman give me some insight on changing training up a bit. I'm changing from doing lower volume weight with up to 20+ reps each set, to doing more high weight with lower reps. I'm worried about overtraining, so, in building a new routine around a different strategy, I'd like to get details on your guys' work out routines and any advice in the following ways:

1)How many sets per week, for a given muscle group. Also, do you use 1rm percentages, and if so, what percent of 1rm at what number of reps and sets?

2)Do you recommend full body, three days a week? That's what I've been doing with the lower weight strategy.

3)Do you rest between sets, or with this new strategy, can I still do circuit training, where I just hop on a new exercise immediately for a different muscle group. The plan is, by the time I get back to that muscle group again, that group will have been rested.

Also, maybe what I'll start doing is report back to you guys, and put on here a copy of workout journal and food journal to see if you guys could critique things for me.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Training frequency, advice on new routine

Post by Boss Man »

In regards to number 2 that would be fine.

In regards to number 3 give that a try and see how it pans out for you.

As for number one you referred to weekly volume on another of your posts, which I answered on there :).
AnthonyDee
STARTING OUT

Post by AnthonyDee »

Give this a read dude: https://myoleanfitness.com/build-muscle ... -training/

It gives recommendations with regards to:
- exercise selection and order
- training intensity and reps in reserve
- training volume and frequency
- rest between sets and lifting tempo
- progression

There's also a sample novice workout at the end
AnthonyDee
STARTING OUT

Post by AnthonyDee »

"When trying to figure out how much training volume you should be doing to build muscle, it’s important to ensure that the amount of volume you are performing:

1. is sufficient to cause hypertrophic adaptations at a fast-enough rate
2. is not so much that it exceeds your recovery abilities
3. is not so much that it prevents progressive overload from taking place

With the above in mind and in combination with the available research and our practical experience, we recommend that novice and intermediate lifters perform between 6 and 16 working sets for each major muscle group per week.

It’s, generally, good practice to start on the lower end and add volume according to how well you are recovering and progressing.

With regards to training frequency, we recommend that you split the total weekly volume for each major muscle group into 2-3 sessions spread throughout the week, since research suggests that higher training frequencies may result in better muscle size gains than lower training frequencies."